Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The defending champions crashed out of the World Cup on Thursday as debutants Slovenia won the swim-or-sink game 3-2 to book a second round ticket in Johannesburg.

As for this sentence, I have some simple questions:

Defending champions should be defending champion?

Debutants should be debutant?

Swim-or-sink isn't idiomatic?

How to pronounce 3-2?

Thanks a lot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The defending champions crashed out of the World Cup on Thursday as debutants Slovenia won the swim-or-sink game 3-2 to book a second round ticket in Johannesburg.

1. Defending champions should be defending champion? No

2. Debutants should be debutant? No

3. Swim-or-sink isn't idiomatic? Correct; it's 'sink-or-swim'

4. How to [STRIKE]pronounce[/STRIKE]say 3-2? three - two. If you wish, you can say, "by three goals/points/etc to two".

Thanks a lot
Collective nouns such as teams can be, and often are in BrE, treated as plural: Slovenia are in the lead.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this discussing women's teams? Cause "debutant" seems to be an emasculating term to me otherwise. Is this common?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

That is the funniest sentence I've read in a while. You are seeing sportswriting---breathless, upbeat, and jingle-jangle with cliches, tortured metaphors and insider jargon. It's a fine art.

The writer is not American, so he sees a team as its members. An American says, "Philadelphia is going to the World Series." Everybody else says, "England are going to the World Cup." But we all go on to say, "The defending champions are in for the fight of their lives."

"Sink or swim" is the correct form. This "swim-or-sink" is backwards (and everybody knows it), but in a studied way. He's good.

Three to two. The "to" sounds more like t' or d', depending on where you are (d', here).

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
3-2 should say as "Three two" or "Three dash two" or "Three to two"?

Thanks a lot

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
And there was only one defending champion Italy, why do I need to say "defending champion"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And there was only one defending champion Italy, why do I need to say "defending champion"?
Until the new World Cup competition, they are the champions. Once the new series of matches begins, they are defending their title. 'Defending' champion reminds us of this.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Until the new World Cup competition, they are the champions. Once the new series of matches begins, they are defending their title. 'Defending' champion reminds us of this.

I hate to disagree, Five.

I look up "defending" in dictionary, it means "try not to lose", and here in the context we are talking about Italy. We know that Italy was the World Cup champion in 2006, so in 2000, they were called "Defending champion". I don't quite understand why there were more than one defending champion.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hate to disagree, Five.
I look up "defending" in dictionary, it means "try not to lose", and here in the context we are talking about Italy. We know that Italy was the World Cup champion in 2006, so in 2000, they were called "Defending champion". I don't quite understand why there were more than one defending champion.
There was only one team. As I noted in post #2, we often, especially in BrE treat collective nouns as plural:

Italy (= the Italian team = a number of players) are the champions.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot, I totally understand now.

A last question. Is there a special sense when using "swim-or-sink" rather than "sink or swim"? Or it is merely a mistake?

Yours

Silver

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A last question. Is there a special sense when using "swim-or-sink" rather than "sink or swim"? Or it is merely a mistake?Silver
It's not natural but, as Coolfootluke suggested, it may be deliberate;

"Sink or swim" is the correct form. This "swim-or-sink" is backwards (and everybody knows it), but in a studied way. He's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.