She had her photo taken wearing her hair like an unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonkhlim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello there.
Does my sentence sound okay?
''She had her photo taken wearing her hair like an unicorn.''

Re: Does my sentence sound okay?

What are you trying to say? I don't understand it.

Hello there.
Does my sentence sound okay?
''She had her photo taken wearing her hair like a unicorn.''

Correct, except remember that that the choice of a/an is based on the sound of the first syllable following, not necessarily the actual letter.

That said, the British have a preference for things like "an horrific...". Strictly speaking, that should be "a horrific", but the English 'prefer' "an".

Jason, please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Intriguing. I'm now picturing "her" with a long white mane growing out of her neck! I don't think unicorns have a trademark hairstyle though, of course, as they are mythical beings, they can do anything they want.

In a ponytail?

I don't understand it.
Is this because you do not care about the following difference?

Personally I do not care about the difference between gerunds and present participles. It has never bothered me and it certainly doesn't prevent my understanding of the English language.

Like me, I didn't understand how somebody could wear her hair like a unicorn until I saw Piscean's link in post #9.

Boris is in good company re not caring about the difference between gerunds and present participles.

As said earlier, for most purposes there is really no point in distinguishing gerunds and present participles, hence the term 'gerund-participle' used by some grammarians, or simply '-ing participle' by others. The most important thing is to determine the function of the word in the clause, and its category usually then becomes clear. In your example, there is a non-finite subordinate clause "the hotel being too crowded" functioning as complement to the preposition "about". The subordinate clause has a subject "the hotel" and a predicate "being too crowded". The head of a predicate is always a verb, and since "being" can be a verb, it is the only possible candidate for head, a function that we've just said can only be filled by a verb. So we've managed to identify both the function (head of the predicate) and category (verb) of the word "being" without any reference to, or knowledge of, the terms 'gerund' or 'participle'.
(Paul Matthews)

Grammarians have been discussing this for a long time There was a famous discussion of the topic between Jespersen and Fowler in the tracts of the Society for Pure English in the 1920s.

I go with grammarians such as Aarts, Greenbaum, Huddleston , Pullum, Leech, Quirk, Svartik, etc, who see no point in distinguishing between gerunds and participles.
(Piscean)

I doubt if there are many English people who would say 'an horrific ...' these days.

I checked this very thing with my Dad several months ago. Though not infallible, he's a walking encyclopedia, and this is not the sort of thing he'd get wrong. So my confidence is very high on this point. This is the correct grammar for British English. I also see it in British news articles, and some fiction writers and academic texts.

However, you might have a point in your "these days" qualifier. Language certainly changes. I'm old enough to remember when the "h" in "herb" was not silent. Then about 15 years ago, it became the 'in' thing to pronounce it "erb". Almost everyone I know says it that way now.

I prefer "a horrific...", and I pronounce the "a" as in "hay" in this instance. However, as I mentioned, I do encounter the old way often enough to feel it is worth bringing it to the attention of the OP.

Re: gerunds and present participles

Saying that there's no point distinguishing between gerunds and present participles is the kind of thing a grammarian might say, but not an EFL teacher.

Upon deeper and deeper consideration, you can even reach a point where the line between what is a noun and what is a verb disappears.

Re: not pronouncing the /h/ in historical/hotel, etc.

Personally, I don't see it as so much of an old-fashioned thing as an accent thing. I personally associate it with a certain type of middle/upper class person, the type whose version of 'correct pronunciation' was so dominant in the past. Also, where I come from in South London, many people use an accent where they omit the /h/ at the beginning of words. You are still likely to hear an utterance like, "There's an 'otel up the 'ill."

I'm an amateur grammarian. I was a professional EFL teacher and teacher trainer for many years. I do say that, and have said it for a very long time.

I know. So would you say that if you were still a teacher, to an EFL intermediate learner?

Unlike the RP version, the variety that you mention is considered substandard by those who use such labels. No speaker of refined RP would drop the h in hill.

Substandard? Do you mean non-standard? What's refined RP? No, in current RP the /h/ is pronounced in hotel and historical, of course. I don't think we disagree about that.

Okay. I think we've gone off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back