Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say a person says another person is good because they know them. Is it correct to use "verify"?

I wanted to have a painting class with Linda but she told me her schedule was full but she introduced Mr Cruise to me. She knows him and verified him as a good painting tutor.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not natural for me. At a push, I'd accept "... and verified that he is/was a good painting tutor".

The opening sentence is a bit too long, especially with two "but"s. I'd stop after "full" then start a new sentence with "However, ...".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't want to edit my last response as the OP has already read and liked it. I should have added that I would find "... and confirmed that ..." or "... told me that ..." would work better for me.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is "confirm" better than "verify"?

Is this okay?

I wanted to have a painting class with Linda but she told me her schedule was full. However, she introduced Mr Cruise to me. She knows him and confirmed that he was a good painting tutor.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's better. When you say "She introduced Mr Cruise to me", do you actually mean that she got the two of you in the same room and said "Mr Cruise, this is Al. Al, this is Mr Cruise"? I have a feeling you're not talking about a physical introduction.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's better. When you say "She introduced Mr Cruise to me", do you actually mean that she got the two of you in the same room and said "Mr Cruise, this is Al. Al, this is Mr Cruise"? I have a feeling you're not talking about a physical introduction.
You are right. It's not a physical introduction. What other word should I use?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"told me about".

I tried to book an art class with Linda but she didn't have any spaces. However, she told me about Mr Cruise, a tutor she knows and trusts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "recommended" rather than "verify". For example: " She recommended him to me."

Status
Not open for further replies.