She was meaner than Scrooge and didn’t enjoy the money she had during her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mona Ibrahim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Please check the sentence below and let me know your feedback.

And what kind of "feedback" would you expect?

Be aware, Mona, that your sentence works only in BrE. In AmE mean is a synonym for cruel, often in a petty way.

There are no grammatical errors. Note that I have added the missing question mark to your last post.

I have changed your thread title. For titles, use the words you are asking us about. Your question or request should appear only in the main body of your post. I have changed at least one more of your titles for the same reason.

Please check the sentence below and let me know your feedback.

Not a native. Here is how I would write it...

She was even more tight-fisted than Scrooge McDuck, so she didn't enjoy the money she made in her life.

Why on earth would you change "Scrooge" (literary character in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens) to "Scrooge McDuck" (a childish cartoon character)?

Don't say "Not a native". You need "... native [English] speaker".

Why on earth would you change "Scrooge" (literary character in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens) to "Scrooge McDuck" (a childish cartoon character)?

Don't say "Not a native". You need "... native [English] speaker".
I thought that was the Scrooge she meant. In any case, he has to replace it either with Ebenizer Scrooge or with Scrooge McDuck, otherwise it sounds vague -- he might as well be talking about a random person he knows and whose name happens to be Scrooge.

Last edited:
I can assure you that within the majority of the English-speaking world, there is no need to add "Ebenezer" (note the correct spelling). We all know who Scrooge is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back