shift the politics against the administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=Georgia, Times, serif] [/FONT] Further, the overnight evaporation of the Afghan security forces, after the commitment of more than $80bn from America, may lead many Americans to conclude the Afghan leadership failed the Americans, rather than the other way around. That said, images of Taliban brutality may shift the politics against the administration.
Source: The Economist

Does "the administration" refer to "Ashraf Ghani administration"? If so, the phrase "images of Taliban brutality may shift the politics against the administration" would mean "though Ashraf Ghani administration was corrupt, Taliban should be more blamed because of its brutality." I am not very sure whether I am on the right track?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think not. They are talking about the Biden administration in America. The headline and sub-head read: The Debacle in Afghanistan is a Grave Blow to America's Standing (and much of the blame lies squarely with Joe Biden).

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think not. They are talking about the Biden administration in America. The headline and sub-head read: The Debacle in Afghanistan is a Grave Blow to America's Standing (and much of the blame lies squarely with Joe Biden).

Got it. The phrase "images of Taliban brutality may shift the politics against the administration" means "images of Taliban brutality may shift the politics (from against the Afghan leadership to) against the administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.