NGU1980

Member Type
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I ordered my boy to stop playing a computer game, I stood by him and said "Shutdown the computer now!", he looked at me, said nothing and kept playing the game. What is the proper sentence to ask him why he doesn't shutdown the computer. Which one is appropriate, is it "Why don't you shutdown?", or "Why didn't you shutdown?", or "Why haven't you shutdown?", or "Why aren't you shutting down?", or perhaps other pattern that I didn't think of. Thank you

Last edited:
I ordered my boy son to stop playing a computer game. I stood by him and said "Shut space here down the computer now!" He looked at me, said nothing and kept playing the game. What is the proper correct sentence way to ask him why he doesn't hasn't shut space here down the computer?

Which one of the following is appropriate? is it

1. "Why don't you shut space here down?" , or
2. "Why didn't you shut space here down?" , or
3. "Why haven't you shut space here down?" , or
4. "Why aren't you shutting down?" , or

Is there perhaps another pattern option that I didn't think of?

Thank you.

Please note my corrections above. "Shutdown" is a noun. You need the verb "shut down" (two words).
When you give us several options, use a numbered list to make it easier for us to respond.

Unfortunately, all your options are incorrect. You need to add "it" or "the computer" between "shut" and "down". I think it's more likely that a parent would say "Why are you still playing [the game]? I told you to shut it down". Also note that BrE speakers would say "turn the computer off" or "close the computer down".

The spelling does not matter in this case as it is spoken rather than written.
There is a difference between "shut down" and switch off". Programmes need to be properly exited before switching off the computer.

The spelling does not matter in this case as it is spoken rather than written.

You'll quickly find yourself without a dance partner here if you try telling most of us that spelling doesn't matter! As 5jj said, post #1 (along with all posts on this forum) is written so needs to be spelled correctly. In addition, "shutdown" is not said exactly the same way as "shut down". If someone said "Shutdown the computer now!", it would sound different from "Shut down the computer".

There is a difference between "shut down" and "switch off". Programmes need to be properly exited before switching off the computer.

If someone isn't familiar with how a computer works, you might have to say "Shut down each program then switch off the computer" but the majority of people now know what they have to do before switching a computer off. There's a bit of a crossover with the terms anyway. Some people do use "shut down" to mean "switch off" (in the UK, at least).

NGU1980, please note that I've changed your thread title. Titles should contain some or all of the words or phrases being asked about.

Rover_KE, could you suggest me the correct thread title then?
Thank you for all of the answers, I really appreciate your responses
Btw, could I get a correction for a line I have written above since I am not sure it has to be "all the answers" or "all of the answers"

I thought I had changed your title to ‘Shutdown the computer now!’

I’d say ‘all the answers’, but adding of isn’t wrong.

An American dad might say: "Turn that thing off and go to bed."

I thought I had changed your title to ‘Shutdown the computer now!’

I’d say ‘all the answers’, but adding of isn’t wrong.
If you did, someone changed it back. I've now changed it "Shutdown the computer now!" which should have been the title in the first place.

'Shut down' seems a bit formal to me in a situation where you're dealing with a disobedient kid. When I'm that exasperated, I'm not really worried about proper semantics, and I'm going to go with something simple and direct like "turn off'.

That aside, and even with noted corrections, #1 seems a bit too optional for me, when I'm asking why a previous command wasn't followed. The suggestive aspect is the only reason I can see for using the present tense to refer to a past command. Even then, I'd probably say something like "Why don't you go ahead and shut it down like I asked?" Although written as a question, it wouldn't be voiced as a question, but rather a command.

I'm more likely to use something like the following:

"Why is that computer still on?"
"Why isn't that computer turned off?"

"For the last time, turn that off."
"You have already been told once to turn that off, so do it now."

I guess the choice between imperative and question probably relates to how much patience I still have in reserve. :D

So these are some expressions that I might say to a defiant kid :
"Why are you still playing [the game]? I told you to shut it down".
"Turn the computer off"
"Close the computer down".
"Turn that thing off and go to bed."
"Why is that computer still on?"
"Why isn't that computer turned off?"
"For the last time, turn that off."
"You have already been told once to turn that off, so do it now."

Turn it off right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back