Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"He was planning on screwing me out of the company since I had been saying no to the incompetent judgments he had been making." Correct?

Is it OK with since in this context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"He was planning on screwing me out of the company since I had been saying no to the incompetent judgments he had been making." Correct?

Is it OK with since in this context?

With the meaning of as, because, yes. I would put a comma after company.

If since has the meaning of from the time that, then the sentence would be more natural as:

"He has been planning on screwing me out of the company ever since I started saying no to the incompetent judgments he was/had been making."

"He had been planning on screwing me out of the company ever since I had started saying no to the incompetent judgments he had been making."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

If since has the meaning of from the time that, then the sentence would be more natural as:

"He has been planning on screwing me out of the company ever since I started saying no to the incompetent judgments he was/had been making."

"He had been planning on screwing me out of the company ever since I had started saying no to the incompetent judgments he had been making."

"Since" meaning as,because. The whole sentence refers to a point in the past. Would it sound awkward?

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

1. 'Since' with the meaning of 'a particular time in the past' looks okay to me.
2. No comma, if you ask me.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1. 'Since' with the meaning of 'a particular time in the past' looks okay to me.
2. No comma, if you ask me.
My question was about the sentence in the first post. What do you think? Sounds OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.