Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Would a native speaker use "smear" as a verb instead of "apply" in "She applies a lot of sunblock" or "She smears her arms"?

She'd have to be smearing something on or onto her arms.

Or "She smears her arms with XXX".

Subject to the comments above "smear" is fine but would be a little too informal if, for example, you were writing the instructions for using the sunblock.

Subject to the comments above "smear" is fine but would be a little too informal if, for example, you were writing the instructions for using the sunblock.

I couldn't find a single example on the Internet of the same example as mine.

I couldn't find a single example on the Internet of the same example as mine.
Your example is indeed incorrect. You have to smear something onto your arm or smear your arm with something.

"Smear" has negative connotations as it implies that something is applied in messy and careless manner. In fact the other meaning of "smear", to damage someone's reputation, is also negative.

"Smear" has negative connotations as it implies that something is applied in messy and careless manner. In fact the other meaning of "smear", to damage someone's reputation, is also negative.
It's not always negative when it means "apply".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back