Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

How does English call crazy people who are into climbing high smokestacks?

Thanks a lot.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

What do you English speakers call crazy people who are into climbing high smokestacks?

Thanks a lot.

Smokestack climbers.

You're welcome.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People who climb structures like that professionally (to perform maintenance, for example) are called steeplejacks. There's probably a name for daredevils who do it for fun, but I don't know what it might be.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, there is — and somebody will tell us soon, I'm sure. I can't remember it.

​Have you read 'The Nervous Steeplejack' by Alf Hall?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I Googled it before I answered. "Smokestack climber" was the only term I found. Love to know if there's another name for it.

Steeplejacks aren't recreational climbers. Smokestack climbers do it fun or publicity - Greenpeace theater, for instance. When I moved here (Augusta, Maine, USA) fifteen years ago, there was a smokestack with "No LNG" painted near the top. The owner solved it by tearing down the smokestack.

Clearly the work of a mad (or at least angry) smokestack climber.

Google it and check it out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think we have a specific word in BrE for protestors who climb tall structures in order to hang banners, paint slogans or simply to hang out at the top to get some publicity.

There are people who climb very tall structures merely as a challenge (usually illegally). I think they are referred to sometimes as "extreme climbers". The people who climb very tall structures and then jump off, using a parachute to save them from a splatty end (by the way, I made up "splatty") are called "BASE jumpers". The acronym "BASE" comes from the first letter of "building, antenna, span and earth". "Span" means "bridge" and "earth" is apparently used to denote a cliff. Those are the four types of structure that BASE jumpers jump off. Quite a lot of them die - according to Wikipedia there is one fatality for every 60 jumps.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think we have a specific word in BrE for protestors who climb tall structures in order to hang banners, paint slogans or simply to hang out at the top to get some publicity.

There are people who climb very tall structures merely as a challenge (usually illegally). I think they are referred to sometimes as "extreme climbers". The people who climb very tall structures and then jump off, using a parachute to save them from a splatty end (by the way, I made up "splatty") are called "BASE jumpers". The acronym "BASE" comes from the first letter of "building, antenna, span and earth". "Span" means "bridge" and "earth" is apparently used to denote a cliff. Those are the four types of structure that BASE jumpers jump off. Quite a lot of them die - according to Wikipedia there is one fatality for every 60 jumps.

Good explanation. Thanks! Remind me to only jump 59 times!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First read 'The Perils of BASE Jumping' by Faye Tality.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're in luck. Faye Tality beat you to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.