Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I used to think that a snob is a person rich person who looks down on people who aren't rich.

This is the meaning of snob according to Cambridge dictionary- "A person who respects and likes only people who are of a high social class, and/or a person who has extremely high standards who is not satisfied by the things that ordinary people like."

It doesn't say anything about the financial condition of the snob. I wonder if a person who isn't rich can be a snob. I know a lot of people who aren't really rich but wants to be around rich people and buy gucci, prada, etc, just to look rich.
This one time a guy at the gym (who isn't rich) didn't even want to talk to me until he saw my car. Can he be called a snob?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I wonder if a person who isn't rich can be a snob.
Yes, they can.

I know a lot of people who aren't really rich but wants to be around rich people and buy gucci, prada, etc, just to look rich.
That doesn't necessarily make them snobs. A snob is a person who looks down on people because of their living standards or social 'qualifications' or education.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In macroeconomics, there's something called the snob effect. A snob, in macroeconomics, is someone who's willing to pay for overpriced goods just so they can flaunt owning them, simply because others can't afford them, producing an unusual positively-sloped demand curve, which, in my opinion, explains what the word means pretty well. It's someone who buys what others can't just for the sake of making them envious.

You don't necessarily have to be rich to be a snob, but it helps a lot.

It reminds me of that episode 7 season 1 of The Simpsons in which Homer bought an RV he couldn't afford just to impress his neighbor, Flanders.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Snobs can look down on people they think are of a lower social class, or were educated at an inferior school, or who speak with a 'common' accent. It's not just to do with wealth.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, if they can afford Gucci and Prada they probably are rich. (Compared to me anyway.)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There's people who'd easily spend their last dime
just to buy something that would make them shine.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's people who'd easily spend their last dime
just to buy something that would make them shine.
I am going to "steal" that (probably with a couple of minor revisions).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is interesting that it originally had the idea of lower status, then false airs and graces:

late 18th cent. (originally dialect in the sense ‘cobbler’): of unknown origin; early senses conveyed a notion of “lower status or rank”, later denoting a person trying to imitate those of higher social standing or wealth. Folk etymology connects the word with Latin sine nobilitate ‘without nobility’ but the first recorded sense has no connection with this.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
You don't necessarily have to be rich to be a snob, but it helps a lot.
Admittedly I can afford a lot of things that many cannot. For example I tend to buy business class air ticket for a thirty minute flight even though I'm aware that it's a waste of money. I don't think I do it particularly to prove a point. Does that make me a snob?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Admittedly I can afford a lot of things that many cannot. For example I tend to buy business class air ticket for a thirty minute flight even though I'm aware that it's a waste of money. I don't think I do it particularly to prove a point. Does that make me a snob?
It depends on why you do it. If you travel business class because you don't want to mix with "ordinary" people in economy class, I'd say you're a snob! If you do it purely because you can afford it and you like the extra legroom (and presumably half-decent food), then that's not snobbery.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A young fool once grumbled to me that he had lost his brand new sunglasses that had cost him $1,000. When I asked why anyone would pay so much for sunglasses he said "Because your friends shop at the same places you do, and when they see them they know you dropped a grand on them." True story!🤗

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It depends on why you do it. If you travel business class because you don't want to mix with "ordinary" people in economy class, I'd say you're a snob! If you do it purely because you can afford it and you like the extra legroom (and presumably half-decent food), then that's not snobbery.
Thanks. I think I understand the meaning better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.