Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Why did the speaker say "could have said"? Why didn't she said "could say"? Is it that when we use "could have said", it sounds more hypothetic?

And then you said, "looking at this yearbook makes me feel like a dinosaur". So you could have just said, "that makes me feel old". You're saying but dinosaur that's kind of a dynamic, kind of more jokey way to say it since you're talking about yourself.

Source: All Ears English Podcast

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why did the speaker say "could have said"? Why didn't she said "could say"? Is it that when we use "could have said", it sounds more hypothetic?

And then you said, "Looking at this yearbook makes me feel like a dinosaur". So you could have just said, "That makes me feel old". You're saying but dinosaur that's kind of a dynamic, kind of more jokey way to say it since you're talking about yourself.

Using "could say" there wouldn't work. The person already said (in real life) "Looking at the yearbook ...". The other person is saying that, instead of saying that sentence, the person could have said "That makes me feel old".
Are you sure you've copied the underlined part correctly? It doesn't make sense.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are you sure you've copied the underlined part correctly? It doesn't make sense.
I guess she's thinking how to say it.
at 14:26

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess she's thinking about how to say it.
OK, now that I've heard it, I would punctuate it differently. I'd write:

"... but "dinosaur"! That's kind of a dynamic ...".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did the speaker say "could have said"? Why didn't she SAY "could say"? Is it that when we use "could have said", it sounds more hypothetic?

And then you said, "looking at this yearbook makes me feel like a dinosaur". So you could have just said, "that makes me feel old". You're saying but dinosaur that's kind of a dynamic, kind of more jokey way to say it since you're talking about yourself.

Hypothetic? No, "humorous" would be better.

You could have said - there was another possibility, perhaps one more natural

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'You could have said' is hypothetical, @Tarheel.