[Essay] Some people believe that having a pet such as a cat or a dog helps old people to live

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please evaluate my IELTS essay and point out any errors .

Some people believe that having a pet such as a cat or a dog helps old people to live a more enjoyable life and to stay healthier. How do you think old people benefit from having a pet? Do you think there are any problems related to old people who have pets?

In many countries, people after retirements like to do various things such as gardening, reading book and maintaining their pets. Having pets is the most favorite activity among senior citizen in my country. They would like to take care of their pets in their spare time. Feeding, cleaning and walking are the few activities that they performed on daily basis. By doing this, they feel more energetic and healthier.

Firstly, people used to have pets for various benefits. One of the main advantages is that pets like dogs provide great security in crime related areas. For this reason, they have been trained well to cope up with un-desirable situation. Furthermore, pets have been used in various games such as polo and racing.

Secondly, maintaining pets is not an easy task. It required full time dedication and hard work. It have been seen, senior citizen who have pets seems to be healthier and active than others. One of the reason is that they keep indulge themselves in taking care of their pets.

Thirdly, I do not think that having pets cause problems for old people. But it could help to reduce their problems such as stress and tension. According to recent study, old people who are reluctant to involve themselves in any activity are more opted towards diseases

Finally, I believe that pets really helped to improve old people health and life style. They enjoyed their lives while maintaining their pets by fulfilling their basic needs and demands. It’s a must activity in many part of the world.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
- Your first body paragraph deals with the benefits, but it's not well thought out, especially the last sentence, which shouldn't be there.
- Your third body paragraph is pointless as far as I can see. Just present (and refute if you wish) the problems in the second paragraph.
- Use better linking words than "firstly", "secondly" ... etc.
-As general advice, I suggest that you show us the plan of your next essay before you actually write it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You think the elderly play polo with their pets, or race them?

You missed the main advantage: companionship.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
You are right. I include that because i was short of content.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People grading essays know when the writer is just throwing stuff on there.

Clear and complete writing requires clear and complete thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Alright. Some time nothing comes to mind about contents. How can i overcome this problem??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please evaluate my IELTS essay and point out any errors .

Some people believe that having a pet such as a cat or a dog helps old people to live a more enjoyable life and to stay healthier. How do you think old people benefit from having a pet? Do you think there are any problems related to old people who have pets?

In many countries, [STRIKE]people after retirements[/STRIKE] retired people like to do [STRIKE]various[/STRIKE] things such as gardening, reading books and [STRIKE]maintaining[/STRIKE] looking after their pets. Having pets is the [STRIKE]most[/STRIKE] favorite activity among senior citizens in my country. They [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] like to take care of their pets in their spare time. Feeding, cleaning and walking are the few activities that they [STRIKE]performed[/STRIKE] perform on a daily basis. By doing this, they feel more energetic and healthier.

[STRIKE]Firstly,[/STRIKE] People [STRIKE]used to[/STRIKE] have pets for various [STRIKE]benefits[/STRIKE] reasons. One of the main advantages is that pets like dogs provide great security in areas with high crime. [STRIKE]related areas.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]For this reason,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] The dogs [STRIKE]have been[/STRIKE] are trained well to cope [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] with [STRIKE]un-desirable[/STRIKE] difficult situations. Furthermore, pets have been used in various games such as polo and racing. (As Barb said, this is unnatural. People don't usually call horses used in polo "pets".)

[STRIKE]Secondly,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]maintaining[/STRIKE] Looking after [STRIKE]pets[/STRIKE] a pet is not an easy task. It [STRIKE]required[/STRIKE] requires full-time dedication and hard work. [STRIKE]It have been seen,[/STRIKE] It has been noticed that senior citizens who have pets seems to be healthier and more active than others. One of the reasons is that they [STRIKE]keep[/STRIKE] indulge themselves in taking care of their pets.

[STRIKE]Thirdly,[/STRIKE] I do not think that having pets causes problems for old people but it [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] can help to reduce [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] problems such as stress and tension. According to a recent study, old people who are reluctant to involve themselves in any activity are more [STRIKE]opted towards[/STRIKE] susceptible to [STRIKE]diseases[/STRIKE] illness.

[STRIKE]Finally,[/STRIKE] In conclusion, I believe that pets really [STRIKE]helped[/STRIKE] help to improve old people's lives and health. [STRIKE]and life style.[/STRIKE] They [STRIKE]enjoyed[/STRIKE] enjoy their lives [STRIKE]while maintaining their pets[/STRIKE] by fulfilling their pets' basic needs and demands. It’s a "must-do" activity in many parts of the world.

Look at my corrections to your post above. I have not changed the construction and I haven't added or removed any of your ideas. However, I have corrected the grammar, punctuation and word order. You need to work on your use of articles and plurals. You also need to stick to one tense. You are talking about a fact or habitual action so the present tense is appropriate in almost every sentence.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
It seems that I have to work very hard in order to improve. I will try my best.

Thank you so much for your time and efforts. Your comments are really useful for me.

I really appreciate your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.