Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to suggest a boy has fallen in love wit a girl who is from a higher class in terms of money.

Does this work?

He has fallen for someone beyond his economic class.

I know it doesn't work! How do I fix it?

He had fallen for a rich girl.

I was going to ask for an idiom or something like that but emsr2d2 might ask for my head on a platter. :oops:

I was going to ask for an idiom or something like that but emsr2d2 might ask for my head on a platter. :oops:

This time, you're in luck. Try "He's punching above his weight".

Beyond his pay grade

Beyond his pay grade

I thought they say that about a job. "Don't you want to know who did this?" "That is above my pay grade. I'm not part of the investigative team."

Is it used for people?

Is this correct and natural?

"Don't you wanna ask Lisa out?"

She is above my pay grade. I've heard she has an expensive taste.

I think it can be used more widely.

He has fallen for someone beyond his economic class.

How about:

who earns more than him
who has a higher earning capacity

I thought [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] people [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] said that about a job. "Don't you want to know who did this?" "That is above my pay grade. I'm not part of the investigative team."

Is it used for people? Is this correct and natural?

"Don't you wanna ask Lisa out?"
"She is above my pay grade. I've heard she has an expensive taste."

Note my corrections above. If you're going to put quotation marks around the first line of dialogue, you need to put them around the second as well.

As Rover said, it can used more widely (metaphorically). In the same way that "He's punching above his weight" doesn't mean he's a boxer, "She's above my pay grade" doesn't have to refer to their actual salaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back