Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The story goes like this: A couple lost their house in a fire. Many friends including Mary helped them in various ways. After that the couple sent thank-you notes to the helpers except Mary. The thank-notes were not individualized but a printed one-size-fits-all message. And it turned out that when their friend addressed the notes, he left Mary out. (They didn't even address the notes themselves!) When the couple learnt that Mary hadn't received a thank-you note, they apologized by sending her a text message, which was accompanied by a picture of the thank-you note. Mary was a little annoyed and considered the friendship over.

The question after the passage is "What does Mary think of the couple she helped?". Three adjectives for you to choose from: A. unbelievable B. unreliable C. careless
The answer is B. What is your opinion about that? Thanks for help!

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The conduct of the couple being reluctuant to show their gratefulness is shocking, unbelievable. I do not think "unreliable" fits the context.

"What does 'I' think of the couple she helped?" - This sentence is also strange. Who is "she"?

not a teacher

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'she' is the one who had not received a thank-you note and wrote the above passage.

Not a teacher.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What does 'I' think of the couple she helped.

There is "I" and "she" which refer to the same person, the writer.

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The OP put 'I' in quotation marks, so I think 'I' refers to the OP, i.e. the reader.

Not a teacher.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The conduct of the couple being reluctuant to show their gratefulness is shocking, unbelievable. I do not think "unreliable" fits the context.

"What does 'I' think of the couple she helped?" - This sentence is also strange. Who is "she"?

not a teacher

Sorry for the confusion of the pronouns. I agree with you on the word "unbelievable".

Status
Not open for further replies.