Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
SOMETHING TO very badly gone with Western liberalism. Basically, classical liberalism believes that human progress is brought about by debate and reform. The best way to navigate disruptive change in a divided world is through a universal commitment to individual dignity, open markets, and limited government. Yet a resurgent China scoffs at liberalism for being selfish, decadent, and unstable. In our country, right-wing and left-wing populists attack liberalism for its elitism and its supposed privileges.

Source: The Economist
VT Computer

I don't understand the use of "to" - it seems to me that either "has" or "is" instead of "to" should be there: SOMETHING has very badly gone with Western liberalism. I am not very sure.

Is the use of "to" a typo there?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
it seems to me that either "has" or "is" instead of "to" should be there: SOMETHING has very badly gone with Western liberalism. I am not very sure.

Is the use of "to" a typo there?
Yes (has).
Yes.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And probably gone wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Out of curiosity, why did you say that the source was The Economist? I clicked on the link and the website is called VT Computer and there is no mention of the piece having been taken from The Economist originally.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The poster should have mentioned it. It is picked up from The Economist I read somewhere. I remembered the question and, following the rule of our forum to offer the context and source, searched out it from VT Computer and posted it here. That is for convenience, of course.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It looks like they're not too good at picking things up from The Economist, which generally has few mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.