Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
When is it okay to used have somebody doing as a casuative form? I heard an example " Soon she had everyone laughing" or " If you don't listen to me now, I will have you cleaning this room all day. What is the difference between this construction and make somebody do something? I had her laughing/I made her laugh.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Vladv1 Note that I have improved the title of almost all your threads. Please make sure titles are unique and relevant to the post. It's always good to use a complete sentence as your title.
Also, don't use contractions such as "smb" in your posts. They're used in dictionaries because space is at a premium. Use complete words on the forum. Please edit post #1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When is it okay to used use have somebody doing as a causative form? I heard an example "Soon she had everyone laughing" or and "If you don't listen to me now, I will have you cleaning this room all day".
Soon she had everyone laughing = Soon, everyone was laughing because of something she did/said
... I will have you cleaning this room all day = I will force you to clean this room all day
What is the difference between this construction and "make somebody do something"?

1. I had her laughing.
I made her laugh.
In that context, 1 and 2 mean much the same.