I want to plan a visit there as soon as possible.

teacherjapan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Some people say that it’s not correct to use “visit there,” as in “I want to visit there someday.” because “go there” is a better choice grammatically.

Then, what about “a visit there,” I mean, the use of “visit” as a noun. Is that also regarded as not grammatically correct?

For example, I want to plan a visit there as soon as possible.

Reactions: 5jj

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is nothing incorrect about your first sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people say that it’s not correct to use “visit there,” as in “I want to visit there someday no full stop here” because “go there” is a better choice grammatically.
Note that when a text continues beyond the end of the quote, a full stop belonging to the quote should be omitted. If you hadn't carried on with "because", the sentence would have ended "... there someday".

I agree with those unspecified "some people" as far as "go there" being more common.
Then, What about “a visit there”? I mean no comma here the use of “visit” as a noun. Is that also regarded as not grammatically correct?
Note my changes above.
For example, "I want to plan a visit there as soon as possible".
That's grammatically correct and natural.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Some people say that it’s not correct to use “visit there,” as in “I want to visit there someday.”

Yes, I agree with that.

Then, what about “a visit there,” I mean, the use of “visit” as a noun. Is that also regarded as not grammatically correct?

That's fine.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people say that it’s not correct to use “visit there,” as in “I want to visit there someday.” because “go there” is a better choice grammatically.
Perhaps the reason "I want to visit there someday" sounds incorrect, or at best awkward, to many people is that "visit" is being used in one of its transitive senses there but does not have a direct object. "There," not being a pronoun or a noun phrase, can't function as a direct object.

"Go," by contrast, is an intransitive verb in "Go there," in which "there" is not functioning as direct object anyway. Let's suppose "there" refers to "Paris." The following two sentences are possible:

a. I went to Paris
b. I visited Paris.

But these are not:

c. I went Paris.
d. I visited to Paris.

Then, what about “a visit there,” . . .

I agree with everyone else that that is correct. The noun "visit," unlike the verb, can be modified by "there," which some grammarians consider a preposition rather than an adverb. Thus, although we can't, as mentioned above, have "I visited to Paris and had a wonderful time" we can have "My visit to Paris was wonderful."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do you want to plan your trip as soon as possible or visit the place as soon as possible?