"Stop the world, I want to get off" for a while at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Step out of the interesting, dynamic rhythm every so often and focus on your internal life. Say "Stop the world, I want to get off" for a while at least.
Source: A quote from Naomi Rosenblatt

Hello friends,
I couldn't make head of the blue sentence. I understand what it says but it's nonsense to me.
What does she want to say by the blue sentence? Would you please clarify it to me?

Many thanks

NOT A NATIVE TEACHER

Here, I think, the word "the world" has a metaphorical meaning. "The world" is like a vehicle moving very fast for the speaker, and she is not happy with this pace.
What happens and how do you feel if the vehicle you're riding is moving very fast?
Probably you feel uncomfortable, ask the driver to stop and get off.
The same here, she's asking the world to move/change more slowly so that she can have enough time to enjoy her life.

Since the thread starter is Iranian, I'd like to draw their attention to the song by the Iranian singer Reza Sadeghi.
The literal meaning of the lyrics is:
Stop the world, stop the world
I wanna get off

Source: A quote from Naomi Rosenblatt

Hello friends,
I couldn't make head of the blue sentence. I understand what it says but it's nonsense to me.
What does she want to say by the blue sentence? Would you please clarify it to me?

Many thanks

This was the title of a musical comedy from the 1960s, starring Anthony Newley, an accomplished British actor/singer/songwriter. The musical introduced the popular song "What Kind of Fool Am I". Newley was also instrumental in the production of "The Roar of the Greasepaint - The Smell of the Crowd". The idea of the first title is that life can become overwhelming and complicated. When that happens, one can wish that things stop for a while. The metaphor is to stop the planet from spinning so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back