English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan

How can I promote motivation in an EFL classroom?​

As an English teacher in a foreign country, English is not the primary language therefore there are various levels of interest from students,s and as they get older that interest depletes.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1. in my teaching days I never experienced such a phenomenon. What makes you think students' interest depletes?

2 "Student,s"?

Is English really your native language? If not, please correct the information in your profile.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're asking a big question here, the simple answer to which is: Find out what motivates them! Remember that motivation is very personal and that your particular students have different levels of motivation, for different reasons.

You might want to start reading some of the extensive literature on the subject of motivation in an ESL context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As an English teacher in a foreign country, English is not the primary language
Your first clause there should be followed by 'I'. There is no connection between your clauses.
English is not the primary language therefore there are various levels of interest
You need a semi-colon or full stop after language.
from students,s

and as they get older that interest depletes.
Deplete is a transitive verb.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Deplete is a transitive verb.

I think so too, but apparently those Oxford mavens disagree with us.

They give the definition as: decline in number or quantity, and their example is "supplies are depleting fast."

dorothyramey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
United States
As an English teacher in a foreign country, English is not the primary language therefore there are various levels of interest from students,s and as they get older that interest depletes.
Not a teacher

Yes, that's true. But this is not unusual, students are often unmotivated and distracted by more important things in their opinion. You need to start with a goal. A student/learner who has no goal is unmotivated. Ask students what they want to learn English for. a specific purpose (for example, passing an exam or communicating with foreign friends)and terms specific goal, and then structure motivation around that goal.

shawz101

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
Well, in my experience currently teaching in another country, English is now a part of the national curriculum. Therefore, students at the moment are studying it, or should I say have no choice but to study it. With that comes students that don't even bother learning.

So I guess I should ask, what are some strategies to promote motivation? Does anyone have ideas? Doesn't have to be related to the subject of English.

shawz101

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
Yes, that's true. But this is not unusual, students are often unmotivated and distracted by more important things in their opinion. You need to start with a goal. A student/learner who has no goal is unmotivated. Ask students what they want to learn English for. a specific purpose (for example, passing an exam or communicating with foreign friends)and terms specific goal, and then structure motivation around that goal.
I would say that I have two goals: first is to make students see how fun and important English is on a global scale since English is considered the "international language of the world" The second is to boost the communication abilities of students who study English.

Annisa Trigati

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Not an English teacher

In my opinion, to promote motivation in an EFL classroom, as teachers should give a reward to students from everything that they have done or achieved, because the rewards given to students can further increase their confidence so that they can grow their learning motivation and be more enthusiastic when studying in class.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Teaching English Games - We don't allow usernames that advertise a company, nor do we allow hyperlinks that lead to commercial sites. For that reason, your last two posts have been deleted. Please go to your Account Details page and change your username to something that isn't connected to the company you work for/own. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.