English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi! I read the following from a TOEIC book:

"Q. The convention center is located on Market Street, directly ________ Glenview Shopping Center.

(A) opposite
(B) among
(C) apart
(D) nearby

Answer: [A] opposite" ((ETS TOEIC Gichool Jonghabsuh [Publisher: YBM]))

I know A is the answer, but I want to know which interpretation is correct between these two:

Interpretation A: The convention center is located on Market Street, and the CENTER is directly opposite Glenview Shopping Center.
Interpretation B: The convention center is located on Market Street, and the STREET is directly opposite Glenview Shopping Center.

According to the book's translation, Interpretation B is correct, but I don't think so.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How can a street be opposite a building? "Opposite" means "facing each other".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How can a street be opposite a building? "Opposite" means "facing each other".
It's entirely possible. In the picture below, I've marked a building with an X. Directly opposite it is Smith Avenue. Regardless of the name of it, it's a street/road. So Smith Avenue is opposite building X.
UE image.jpg

niue

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you all for your answers. (Especially for emsr2d2's picture. (y))
In short, it depends on the locations of the centers and the street, right?
Do all of you agree with that? :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In short, it depends on the locations of the centers and the street, right?
Do all of you agree with that? :)

No, I don't agree with that at all.

It depends on both the structure of the sentence and what you understand the utterance to be doing. Is the utterance as a whole a description of the location of the center or of the location of the street, or of both? I think it would be clear to any listener that both parts of the sentence are about the center only.

Things would be different if you were to add a referring pronoun to the second part of the sentence, like this:

The convention center is located on Market Street, which is off Main Street.

What's the second part talking about now? The location of the center or the location of Market Street? How do you know?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@niue, please don't post the same question to multiple forums at the same time. I note you posted here first. You should have waited at least a day for people here to respond. If you then decided to post to another forum, you should include a link to this thread so that users there know you're asking in more than one place. It wastes the valuable time of members of both forums to find they're answering a question that has been answered somewhere else already.
(emsr2d2)