Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is my punctuation incorrect? It looks weird.

Next Wednesday is Sue''s sister Jen''s, wedding anniversary.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Change Sue"s and Jen"s to Sue's and Jen's, as I have done in your thread title, and delete the commas.

You use the same key on a computer keyboard to type an apostrophe and a single quote. In many fonts they look the same. A double quote is not related to an apostrophe.

Change Sue"s and Jen"s to Sue's and Jen's, as I have done in your thread title, and delete the commas.

Sorry, I don't understand. I tried but still don't understand.

Next Wednesday is Sue''s sister Jen''s, wedding anniversary. (copied from the change you made in my original post)

So, instead of Sue's, I should use Sue"s? And instead of Jen's, I should use Jen"s?

I understand what GoesStation said, which means something is wrong with my understanding. I understand that a double quote is not related to an apostrophe. Hence, in the changes you've made, it looks to me like the double quote is used in place of the apostrophe.

Kindly help me understand.

Thank you!

Here is the correct sentence: Next Wednesday is Sue's sister Jen's wedding anniversary.

I am not a teacher.

Next Wednesday is Sue's sister Jen's wedding anniversary.

I am not a teacher.

Next Wednesday is Sue's sister Jen's wedding anniversary.

“Sue’s sister Jen’s….” sounds like its needs a comma. Please help me understand why the commas should be omitted.

Thank you!

Next Wednesday is Sue''s sister Jen''s, wedding anniversary. (copied from the change you made in my original post)

The post you replied to was in the form "Change x to y." That means that you begin with x and, after you make the change, you have y.

The post you replied to was in the form "Change x to y." That means that you begin with x and, after you make the change, you have y.

I should have phrased my question in a clear manner. Sorry about it.

In the following sentence, I don't understand why a comma is not needed (in red).

Next Wednesday is Sue's sister, Jen's wedding anniversary.

Please help me to understand.

Thank you.

A single comma isn't possible there. If you use the comma before "Jen", you also need one after "Jen". We tend to omit commas that would set off only a single word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back