Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone. I wrote this sentence. I'm especially not sure if 'grow', 'dry' and 'cool' can be used like this or not.

The overview:
Overall, the production of sugar is a man-made process and contains seven linear processes, beginning with the growing of sugar canes and ending with the drying and cooling of sugar crystals.

The sixth step:
The syrup is then poured into a centrifuge where it is being rotated to separate sugar crystals from it.
Does the two 'it' clearly refers to the syrup?

sugar.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. "Do the two its ...", not "does the two it."

I would take issue, however, with the use of the present continuous tense. I would omit being.

What do you mean by a man-made process and contains seven linear processes? You can say that a process consists of a series of steps.

I would say the syrup is spinned (in some kind of drum) to separate the sugar crystals from the liquid.

What do you mean by a man-made process and contains seven linear processes? You can say that a process consists of a series of steps.

I would say the syrup is spinned (in some kind of drum) to separate the sugar crystals from the liquid.
Thanks, did you see the diagram in #1?

Hi, everyone. I rewrote the overview. Please check again, especially the punctuations after the word 'stages'.

Overall, the production of sugar is a man-made process and contains four main stages: farming, crushing, separating and drying.
Overall, the production of sugar is a man-made process and contains four main stagesfarming, crushing, separating and drying.

the production of sugar is a man-made process
That doesn't work.

Try:

There are four main stages in the production of sugar: farming, crushing, separating and drying.

I think you mean a "manual process" (done by hand, not by machine). "Man-made" doesn't mean the same.

All manufactured products and processes are man-made.
Something done manually does not make use of machines. The production of sugar is not one of them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that processes were man-made.

Okay, "man-made" is used normally with physical things, but what I mean is that processes are designed/made by people.

Far from all processes are designed/made by people.

Far from all processes are designed/made by people.

I didn't say all processes. I was referring to the manufacturing processes in the production of sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back