Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Intimate partner violence (IPV) is the most common form of violence worldwide. Most victims of IPV are women—globally, an estimated 27% of women aged 15 years or older have experienced physical or sexual IPV—but high rates of IPV are also experienced by other marginalised groups. Exposure to IPV increases the likelihood of developing a range of mental health problems. The presence of mental health problems also makes individuals more vulnerable to experiencing IPV. Although IPV is endemic, it is not inevitable. Targets for intervention range from parenting or school-based programmes, to the prevention and treatment of substance misuse, and support for secondary or higher education for women. Survivors should be fundamental to the development and assessment of IPV measures and integrated support services.

Source: The Lancet

I failed to sense the favor of using the word fundamental here, though the meaning is clear - "of central importance". But I can't tell the difference between "should be foundamental" and "should be critical" - not sure whether "should be critical" works there as well (critical here means vital<of the utmost importance>).

My guess is that "critical" is not as accurate as "vital", and so "should be vital" is more close to "shold be fundamental". I am not sure - not sure whether "vital" can be used in place of fundamental in the Lancet article.

Are "should be fundamental" and "should be vital" exchangeable there?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Survivors should be fundamental to the development and assessment of IPV."

Obviously the first step to be taken to address the problem of IPV is get survivors to come forward to give an account of their experience, upon which measures can be formulated and support provided to future victims. It is the fundamental/basic action to be taken before anything else.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am afraid that the nuance between "fundamental" (of central importance) and "vital" (of the utmost importance) appears to be elusive for both of us, tedmc.
I guess only native speakers who are experts in linguistics can tell such subtle difference.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Of course, the words fundamental and vital have different meanings. The word fundamental does not really mean 'of central importance'. Think of it as relating to the word 'foundation'. The foundation of something is at the bottom, supporting what lies above, not at the centre.

The writer chose fundamental to talk about a basis on which development and assessment can be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.