Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Ta-everso / ta muchly

I've never heard these interjections in real life. However, I've seen and read about them in some books and articles. E.g.

1638301381362.png

I will slot them into my Wall of National Population Class Rankings and, when I have finalised your position, send you an apology and bespoke version of this column if you qualify. Until then, please endure the lumping address for three minutes or so as best you can. Ta muchly.)

Interested to know more about them. Do you consider them "bad English" or probably something witty you'd expect to hear out of the mouths of some folks being humorous?
Could they be used in everyday conversation without raising any eyebrows?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ta-everso Ta ever so/Ta muchly

I've never heard these interjections in real life. However, I've seen and read about them in some books and articles, e.g.

View attachment 4331

I'm interested to know more about them. Do you consider them "bad English" or probably something witty you'd expect to hear out of the mouths of some folks being humorous?
Could they be used in everyday conversation without raising any eyebrows?

Note my corrections above. Take care to copy things exactly. The link shows it as "ta ever so" so there was no reason for you to write "ta-everso". I consider it neither bad English nor something that would come from someone trying to be humorous. Native speakers use and hear them naturally and no eyebrows are raised. It would surprise me only if someone who's general level of English was relatively low suddenly used one of them.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I first encountered "ta" as a shorthand for "thanks" on a TV show set in Manchester.

It would not be understood in America, where "ta," if anything, is short for "ta ta," as in "goodbye."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think I've heard the ta ever so before but would easily recognise it as a short, playful form of ta ever so much.

Ta muchly is one that I might use myself.

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The link shows it as "ta ever so" so there was no reason for you to write "ta-everso".
Strictly speaking, the link does show ta muchly, not ta ever so. Ta ever so has been mentioned in the pic attached to the OP.
Google the term and you'll find some reason.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 12.49.31.png

As a side note, I was beginning to miss those corrections. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.