Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I remember reading somewhere on the internet that native speakers of English sometines elide the syllable "ra" in the word "library" pronouncing it as /'laibri/. Do they elide in a similar manner the syllable "ra" in "temporary" (pronouncing it as /'tempri/)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say the most common example of this is "February", but "library" comes a close second. In all the examples in this thread, someone unfamiliar with the words would think, on hearing them without seeing them, that they contain just one "r".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With "February", there's another common omission - the "u". Lots of people pronounce it as "Febry". Others say "Febury". A few say "Febrary". A tiny minority actually enunciate the full "FebRUARy". (I bet 5jj's one of them! ;))

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gee, I'm part of a tiny minority. Hm.
😊

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Gee, I'm part of a tiny minority. Hm.
😊
I should have been clear I was talking only about BrE speakers. I've no idea what the majority of AmE speakers do.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, we're more alike than we are different. Certainly there are some who don't pronounce all the syllables in that word. I don't know what what percentage of American English speakers that is.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do they elide in a similar manner the syllable "ra" in "temporary"

Yes. I'd say most people do, most of the time. It depends largely on how fast one is speaking.

(pronouncing it as /'tempri/)?

Well, eliding the 'ra', as you say, would produce /'tempəri/ with three syllables (note the schwa), not two, which is the way I'd model it in class. The two-syllable version might be used when speaking at a particularly fast pace.

I'm talking about standard British pronunciation here. I'm not completely sure about other varieties.