Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This comes from Lucifer. The Devil pretends to be a priest and gives a penance to a sinner in a confessional. Her penance is "Ten bloody marys and a good shag".

I know he's mixed up prayers' names, but I can't really tell which one a good shag is supposed to be. I think I already understand the joke in ten bloody marys, though.

Instead of telling her to say ten Hail Marys, he tells her to have ten shots of a popular drink, bloody mary.

Could you help me understand the joke in a good shag?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Shag' is of course BrE slang meaning to have sex. I don't think it's supposed to be a reference to anything other than that. Note that earlier in the clip he tells her to give in to her desires and have the affair. I think the 'shag' reference is just circling back to that advice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The Devil would give bad advice- getting drunk and having sex is bad advice for someone who has sinned and wants forgiveness.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The Devil would give bad advice- getting drunk and having sex is bad advice for someone who has sinned and wants forgiveness.
I figured, but didn't want to assume. I was hoping a good shag would turn out to be some clever way of making fun of a prayer's name, not just simply telling her to go fornicate away.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The Marquis de Sade wrote a story where a lothario paid a priest to let him do Confession, where he gave the worst possible advice. This sounds very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.