rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is the following underlined part of the sentence grammatically right? I think it is wrong. It should be replaced by "being approved". Please advise.

The draft of New National Education Policy that has been approved by Union Cabinet, Government of India to bring quality in Higher Education to produce global competency in the Indian Learners formed the basis of the present event.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Will it be wrong if I write that sentence like this?

The draft of New National Education Policy, being approved by Union Cabinet, Government of India to bring quality in Higher Education and to produce global competency in the Indian Learners, formed the basis of the present event.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is the following underlined part of the sentence grammatically right? I think it is wrong. It should be replaced by "being approved". Please advise.

The draft of New National Education Policy that has been approved by Union Cabinet, Government of India to bring quality in Higher Education to produce global competency in the Indian Learners formed the basis of the present event.

It depends on whether the draft has or has not been approved, isn't it? If it has been approved, wht would you say "it is being approved"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends on whether the draft has or has not been approved, [STRIKE]isn't[/STRIKE] doesn't it? If it has been approved, why would you say "it is being approved"?

emsr2d2

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The draft of New National Education Policy that has been approved by the Union Cabinet, Government of India to bring quality in Higher Education to produce global competency in the Indian Learners formed the basis of the present event.

I think you're parsing the sentence incorrectly. I have greyed out words that aren't necessary to understand the sentence. Does it make sense to you now? Can you see why "being approved" wouldn't work there?

Status
Not open for further replies.