that the constitutional right to abortion many people believed was sacrosanct is likely to be taken away

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That dawning awareness seems to have been sparked by the December 1 oral arguments about abortion rights before the Supreme Court, when a majority of the current justices made it clear that the constitutional right to abortion many people believed was sacrosanct is likely to be taken away.
Source: Letter from An American

Is the use of "was" grammatical here? It seems to me that only "to be" is correct: many people believed to be sacrosanct. I am not absolutely sure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"was" is correct.

that / the constitutional right to abortion / [that] many people believed was sacrosanct / is likely to be taken away.

Does the extra "that" I've added in square brackets above help? The piece is saying that many people believed the right was sacrosanct until the current debates and potential law changes started.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"was" is correct.

that / the constitutional right to abortion / [that] many people believed was sacrosanct / is likely to be taken away.

Does the extra "that" I've added in square brackets above help? The piece is saying that many people believed the right was sacrosanct until the current debates and potential law changes started.

Helped.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It helped.
Please remember to write complete sentences at all times. Also note that your click on the "Thank you" emoji already indicated that my response was helpful. You didn't need to add a new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.