I'll just say it wasn't the right company for me.

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why does Emily use will and say, "I'll just say it wasn't the right company for me" in the following conversation?

Interviewer: So tell me, why do you want to work in marketing?
Emily: Well, I took two courses in marketing at college and really enjoyed them. After that, I wanted to pursue a job in marketing.
Interviewer: I see. What skills do you have that would be useful for a career in marketing?
Emily: I developed communication and leadership skills while working at Mesa Design for three months.
Interviewer: I see that here. Why only three months? Was there a problem?
Emily: Um, I'd rather not say. I'll just say it wasn't the right company for me. But it was a positive experience.
Interviewer: All right. How are your computer skills?
Emily: Excellent. I can use all the main programs and I taught myself web design. I'm a fast learner.

Source: Speak Now 3, Jack C. Richards & David Bohlke, p. 52

Is will used here to indicate an instant decision? (vs. be going to)

Does it match the following sense from the Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner’s Dictionary?

You use will to indicate someone's intention to do something.
I will say no more on these matters, important though they are.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. In the dictionary definition, "I will say no more" refers to the future. It indicates a specific intention not to talk about "these matters" in the future.

In the interview dialogue, it's more like saying "All I'm prepared to say on the matter is ...". You'll hear native speakers use "Let's just say ..." in that sort of situation. It's a way of shutting down that particular topic.

Helen: Do you want to go to Sian's party on Saturday?
James: No.
Helen: Why not?
James: Let's just say that her party last November was more than enough for me.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is will used here to indicate an instant decision? (vs. be going to)

I hate this idea of 'instant decisions' so I say no, but then I would say no to every case of 'will' being used to express an instant decision, not just this one.

Does it match the following sense from the Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner’s Dictionary?

You use will to indicate someone's intention to do something.
I will say no more on these matters, important though they are.

Yes, it matches to some extent but the question as I see it should be 'how far' it matches.

I mean, yes it makes sense to say the speaker is stating an intention to speak no more on the issue, but a much better notion for understanding this is 'willingness'. The speaker is not willing to say any more than that it wasn't the right company.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. In the dictionary definition, "I will say no more" refers to the future. It indicates a specific intention not to talk about "these matters" in the future.

Possibly, but you could just as easily interpret that the speaker will say no more about the matter now, as well as possibly in the future.

In any case, I don't think there's any futurity about this use of 'will'. It's an expression of willingness, or lack of.