Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I posted this question on the Word Reference forum. Proofreading isn't allowed on WR, so I am posting my question in "editing and writing topics".

Can I use different tenses/modals in conditional sentences?

1. If she should be late, I will wait for her. (I mean if she is late, I will wait for her)

2. If it was snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk. (The idea is, she went for a walk because it wasn't snowing)

3. If I hadn't been working, I would have gone for a walk.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I flunked the course on conditionals. 😊

Despite having flunked the course on conditionals, I know what it means when somebody uses one. Having said that, I wouldn't have known what you meant by the first sentence without the explanation. (That should be a clue.)

The second one needs to be rewritten from scratch.

The third one is okay.

(Monica is impatient. 😊)

(I am a contributor at WR, but I don't post there often.)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I flunked the course on conditionals. 😊

Despite having flunked the course on conditionals, I know what it means when somebody uses one. Having said that, I wouldn't have known what you meant by the first sentence without the explanation. (That should be a clue.)

The second one needs to be rewritten from scratch.

The third one is okay.

(Monica is impatient. 😊)
😄
(I am a contributor at WR, but I don't post there often.)
Two questions, if you please. Why is the second sentence wrong? And is "should" used in conditional sentences only in a phrase like "Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had already explained that I flunked the course on conditionals, but you go right ahead and ask me a question about them. (Somebody is not paying attention 😊)

My memory is not that good that I can remember a sentence word for word if it's not in front of me, but I'll try.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My guess is you mean: "If it had been snowing she wouldn't have gone for a walk." Only you know if that's what you really mean to say.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try: "If you have any questions, feel free to contact us." There is no need for "should" there at all.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. If she should be late, I will wait for her. (I mean if she is late, I will wait for her)

2. If it was snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk. (The idea is, she went for a walk because it wasn't snowing)

3. If I hadn't been working, I would have gone for a walk.
All three are possible, though, absent context, the second is more likely to be understood as a present counterfactual or future hypothetical conditional.

If you are referring to past time, then the second means that she refused, or was unwilling, to go if it was snowing,

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
All three are possible, though, absent context, the second is more likely to be understood as a present counterfactual or future hypothetical conditional.

If you are referring to past time, then the second mean, that she refused, or was unwilling to go if it was snowing,
So when talking about past time it's not necessary to use "would have gone" with past perfect always. Right?

For example, talking about past to say that she went for a walk because it wasn't snowing.

2. If it was snowing, she wouldn't have gone for a walk.

Or

3.If it had snowed/had been snowing she wouldn't have gone for a walk.

4. If it had snowed/had been snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
2. If it was snowing, she wouldn't have gone for a walk.
That conveys the message that it is not snowing in the present and she did go for a walk in the past.
3.If it had snowed/had been snowing she wouldn't have gone for a walk.
This is counterfactual. It conveys the message that it did not snow in the past and she did go for a walk in the past.
4. If it had snowed/had been snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk.
That is counterfactual. It conveys the message that it did not snow in the past and she is (possibly) going for a walk now or in the future.

Inanceda

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Canada
If she should be late, I will wait for her.
Your understanding is correct, and the sentence conveys the intended meaning that if she is late, you will wait for her. It is acceptable to use different tenses and modals in conditional sentences to express various possibilities.

If it was snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk.
This sentence effectively conveys the idea that she didn't go for a walk because it wasn't snowing. The use of different tenses in conditional sentences allows for nuanced expressions of hypothetical situations.

If I hadn't been working, I would have gone for a walk.
This sentence accurately represents the idea that if you hadn't been working, you would have gone for a walk. It demonstrates the use of past perfect tense in the conditional clause and conditional perfect tense in the result clause.

Using different tenses and modals in conditional sentences can add depth and clarity to your expressions ;)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Your understanding is correct, and the sentence conveys the intended meaning that if she is late, you will wait for her. It is acceptable to use different tenses and modals in conditional sentences to express various possibilities.

This sentence effectively conveys the idea that she didn't go for a walk because it wasn't snowing. The use of different tenses in conditional sentences allows for nuanced expressions of hypothetical situations.

This sentence accurately represents the idea that if you hadn't been working, you would have gone for a walk. It demonstrates the use of past perfect tense in the conditional clause and conditional perfect tense in the result clause.

Using different tenses and modals in conditional sentences can add depth and clarity to your expressions ;)
"If it was snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk.
This sentence effectively conveys the idea that she didn't go for a walk because it wasn't snowing. The use of different tenses in conditional sentences allows for nuanced expressions of hypothetical situations."

This situation doesn't refer to the past, does it? It's a hypothetical situation about the present moment, isn't it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"If it was snowing, she wouldn't go for a walk.
This sentence effectively conveys the idea that she didn't go for a walk because it wasn't snowing. The use of different tenses in conditional sentences allows for nuanced expressions of hypothetical situations."

This situation doesn't refer to the past, does it? It's a hypothetical situation about the present moment, isn't it?
Read post #7 again.