Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following conversation took place among a group of friends chatting English tonight together.

Steven came and joined our conversation.

Ivy: So you're Steven? And you're capable of speaking eight languages.
Steven: I think more than eight language.
Ivy: What are they?
Steven: Japanese, Chinese, English, Spanish, German, Swedish, French, Korean, etc,.
Ivy: Wow, that's amazing. How did you do that?
Steven: Indeed, I think one can learn how to speak a language within three to six months.
Silver: ________________________________________.

I cut in at that time when Steven said one can learn a language within 3-6 months. The expression I used was a).

a) That's just for you.
b) You save it for yourself.
c) You say that for yourself.

I think b and c are also natural. However, I'm not sure. The intended meaning is "Maybe it's just for you who can speak a language in 3-6 months, not for others". Steven and I are old friends. He's a polyglot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following conversation took place among a group of friends chatting in English tonight together last night/yesterday evening.
Steven came and joined our conversation.

Ivy: So you're Steven? And you're capable of speaking you speak eight languages.
Steven: I think it's actually more than eight languages.
Ivy: What are they?
Steven: Japanese, Chinese, English, Spanish, German, Swedish, French, Korean, etc,. (Saying "et cetera" doesn't make sense. He must know which languages he speaks!)
Ivy: Wow, that's amazing. How did you do that?
Steven: Indeed, I think one can learn how to speak a language within three to six months.( That doesn't answer your question at all.)
Silver: ________________________________________.

I cut in at that time when Steven said one can learn a language within 3-6 three to six months. The expression I used was a).

a) That's just for you.
b) You save it for yourself.
c) You say that for yourself.

I think b and c are also natural. However, I'm not sure. The intended meaning is "Maybe it's just for you who can speak a language in 3-6 three to six months, not for others". Steven and I are old friends. He's a polyglot.
Note my corrections above. As jutfrank said, "Speak for yourself" is the perfect saying for that situation.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That's just you.

Do not leave a space or a full-stop before a slash

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's just you.
That would be an acceptable response if Steven had said "Is it just me or are foreign languages really easy to learn?" Someone would no doubt laugh and say "It's just you!"