Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Since yesterday, I've been greatly bothered by the silly question in the following text.

India achieved independence on August 15, 1947, ending nearly two centuries of British colonial rule. Fast forward to August 15, 2023 (i.e. yesterday), headlines in newspapers highlight India's celebration of its 77th Independence Day. So my question is, Is it not the 77th Independence Day of India that should technically fall on November 1, 1947 (77 days from August 15, 1947), rather than on August 15, 2023?

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I knew most people say "No", but I wanna know the reason behind the "No".

Also, If we consider your birthdate as August 15, 1947, which date would mark the 77th day of your life?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
I knew most people say "No", but I wanna want to know
Please use standard English forms in this forum.
the reason behind the "No".
It's a completely incorrect idea. Anniversaries of events are based on the number of years following them.
Also, If we consider your birthdate as August 15, 1947, which date would mark the 77th day of your life?
Some date in November 1947. It's not worth working out - it has no significance at all.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Obviously, when you say 'India's 77th Independence Day', it means 'India's 76th anniversary of its original Independence Day'.

It's similar with birthdays. If you say that today is your 25th birthday, you mean that today is the 25th anniversary of the day on which you were born. The only difference there is that you don't count the day of your birth as your first birthday—that comes one whole year later.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There was only one Independence Day but it's celebrated every year. 1947 was the first (the inaugural one). 1948 was the second. 1949 was the third, and so on. 2023 is the 77th one.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since yesterday, I've been greatly bothered by the silly question in the following text.

India achieved independence on August 15, 1947, ending nearly two centuries of British colonial rule. Fast forward to August 15, 2023 (i.e. yesterday), headlines in newspapers highlight India's celebration of its 77th Independence Day. So my question is, Is it not the 77th Independence Day of India that should technically fall on November 1, 1947 (77 days from August 15, 1947), rather than on August 15, 2023?

It is silly because by that logic, yesterday would have been the 27,775th anniversary of Indian independence.

You really want your spouse asking you how many days you've been married 20 years onward? Do you really want to remember how many days ago your best friend was born?

There's a reason we deal in years for anniversaries - it would be overwhelming otherwise. The song "Seasons of Love" from the musical Rent has a song based on this notion, dealing with years in terms of minutes (and other ways of measuring life).

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is an English language forum @utsavviradiya. Therefore we use only standard English. Chatlish forms such as "wanna" are not to be used here.