Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The adjective ___ means both a strong, light colour, or, someone who is intelligent or happy. What’s the missing word?
I would say "bright".
My question: How many adjectives can work here?

Brilliant.

Not a teacher.

Hello, Freeguy.:-D

I don't know how native speakers see it, but I personally think the sentence ("The adjective ___ means both a strong, light colour, or, someone who is intelligent or happy.") is of dubious quality. Is this a test question of some sort?

Yes tzfujimino. Why did you find that dubious?

May I ask you since when "bright" means "strong"? I can imagine several sentences where these words are synonyms but they (sentences) are quite wishy-washy.

I'd say "effulgent", but it doesn't mean "strong" at all. :roll:

Hello, Freeguy.:-D

Well, first, I don't like the use of 'both' in your sentence. I don't think it's correctly used.
Second, I don't like the way the sentence is punctuated.
(I mean no offense to you, Freeguy.)

Last edited:
Yes tzfujimino. Why did you find that dubious?
It's a question to stump the most fluent native speaker, let alone ESL students.

I agree that questions like this are problematic. However, "bright" does seem to fit very well.

Well, first, I don't like the use of 'both' in your sentence. I don't think it's correctly used.
"The adjective ___ means both a strong, light colour, or, someone who is intelligent or happy."
You're right. It should be:
"The adjective ___ means both a strong, light colour and someone who is intelligent or happy." OR
"The adjective ___ means
either a strong, light colour or someone who is intelligent or happy."
"Bright" is the best answer, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back