Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should it be "the ancestors" but no article before "people"?

"My favourite animal is a monkey. Some believe they are the ancestors of people."

Should it be "the ancestors" but no article before "people"?

"My favourite animal is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the monkey. Some believe they are [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] ancestors of people."

See above. When we talk about an entire species of animal in this sort of context, we normally use "the", not "a". If you use "the" before "ancestors", it would sound as if there are no other ancestors of humans.

See above. When we talk about an entire species of animal in this sort of context, we normally use "the", not "a". If you use "the" before "ancestors", it would sound as if there are no other ancestors of humans.

Isn't the plural also correct? "My favourite animals are monkeys"?

Yes, it is.

Both versions are correct. emsr2d2 was staying as close as possible to your version.

Last edited:
Aren't primates separate forks and branches in evolution rather than our ancestors?

Aren't primates separate forks and branches in evolution rather than our ancestors?
Primates are a branch of the vertebrate mammals. We and our ancestors are primates.

Primates are a branch of the vertebrate mammals. We and our ancestors are primates.

That's right. Our hominin ancestors (e.g. homo erectus) are also classed as primates. Before hominins evolved, it's a different story, of course.

Yes, but is it not the case that gorillas are not our ancestors- our common ancestors go back before the evolutionary forks?

Last edited:
Yes, but is it not the case that gorillas are not our ancestors- our common ancestors go back before the evolutionary forks?
Yes, that's right. Humans and the many species of monkeys are primates, but humans aren't descended from monkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back