Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct my mistakes in my text?

Bang! Bang! Two stones as big as tennis balls, and pieces of broken glass crashed on the floor. Passengers screamed. Babies wailed. Someone shouted swearwords. The bus stopped with a jerk. Even if I was used to explosions and gunfire from the war I had experienced decades before, I winced and ducked behind the seat in front of me. Through the window on my right, I watched a group of children running away and laughing. They were about twelve or thirteen years old. A boy with a red baseball cap turned back to front, stopped, turned around, gave us a finger, and stuck his tongue out. I sat close to the driver and heard him calling his boss on the radio. “We’ve been attacked. Two stones. Two windows broken.” The crackling voice asked if someone was injured and the driver, a heavyset immigrant, heaved up from his sit and asked, “Anyone injured?” People shook her heads and the driver informed the boss that everyone was all right. “Wait for the police!” the voice ordered.

I was angry at first at the children who did not think about the damage they were doing. Fortunately, the bus was half-full, but if a stone had hit someone, he or she could have been seriously hurt. And as the consequence of the attack, the traffic to the suburb would be suspended for the rest of the day. But the longer I watched the grey, non-descript, concrete buildings, the more my anger dissipated. The children and their parents had not chosen this place. It had been assigned to them by the authorities. Some years before, Swedish politicians had come up with the idea that immigration was good for the economy. They asserted that the more people arrived to this cold country, the more jobs would be created and the more prosperous the country would be. Unfortunately, they could not draw well-educated people from the West, and instead they turned to Africa and Asia and welcomed poor refugees, of which many were illiterate. Although the political and cultural elite officially welcomed thousands of refugees with open arms, they did not want them to live nearby, because their presence in their affluent suburbs would immediately reduce the value of their homes. Therefore the best solution was to locate them to the suburbs which were build in the 1960s, when around one million flats were built in the shortest possible time. Maybe at that time these areas looked fine, but forty years later, they had been transformed into the parts of towns and cities people usually avoided.

The media, which had always endorsed multiculturalism and immigration, tried to portrait a picture of an idyll, but eventually they had to give up when the explosions and automatic gunfire jolted inhabitants from their sleep, and murders on the street turned almost into an everyday occurrence. After decades of denial, the police had decided to call these suburbs no-go areas to warn the natives not to go there because their safety could not be guaranteed.

I imagined being born in one of those suburbs. My eyes would be accustomed to the greyness of the buildings, concrete, and the lack of trees, birds and flowers. I would watch my parents sitting idle at home day after day, year after year, withering away without prospects for a future. They would have applied for dozens of jobs, but the colour of their hair, skin and their foreign names would be their impediment. They had great expectations when they arrived and dreamed about the new beginning, but the years of disappointment took their tool. They both had become depressed, chain-smoked, and drank endless cups of coffee and tea. I would felt their pain, unable to help them. I would go to a bad school where incompetent teachers would never be able to enforce discipline. They would bother more about their own safety than imparting knowledge to their students. I would know nothing about Aristotle, Picasso, Mahler, Bach and other great minds of humankind. My favourite music would be rap and my idols the gangsters who drove a BMW and had thick gold chains around their necks. Instead of the educational program on the radio, I would listen to their stories about their successful robberies, burglaries, car thefts and drug trafficking. Already as a teenager, I would become a member of a gang, and I would dream about emulating my idols. I would probably end my life prematurely, killed in a war with a rival gang.
TO BE CONTINUED

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bang! Bang! Two stones, [STRIKE]as big as[/STRIKE] the size of tennis balls, and pieces of broken glass crashed onto the floor. Passengers screamed. Babies wailed. Someone [STRIKE]shouted swearwords[/STRIKE] swore loudly.

My first suggested changes are above.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The bus stopped with a jerk. (The bus came to an abrupt halt) Even if I was used to explosions and gunfire from the war I had experienced decades before, I winced and ducked for cover behind the seat in front of me. Through the window on my right, I watched a group of children running away and laughing. They were about twelve or thirteen years old. A boy [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] wearing a red baseball cap [STRIKE]turned[/STRIKE] back to front, stopped, turned around, gave us a rude finger sign and stuck his tongue out. I sat close to the driver and heard him calling his boss on the radio. “We’ve been attacked. Two stones. Two windows broken.” The crackling voice asked if someone was injured and the driver, a heavyset immigrant, heaved up from his sit and asked, “Anyone injured?” People shook her heads and the driver informed the boss that everyone was all right. “Wait for the police!” the voice ordered.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,
Thank you for your corrections.
I think I can use "stopped with a jerk" because it means a sudden halt.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tedmc,
Thank you for your corrections.
I think I can use "stopped with a jerk" because it means a sudden halt.

Yes, you can

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

Even though I was used to explosions and gunfire....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rather than "children" the word "juveniles" might work better here. (You could also use "youngsters" if you want something more neutral.)

Also, the expression is:

He gave us the finger.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Through the window on my right I saw a group of boys running away and laughing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

The crackling voice asked if anybody was injured, and the driver, a heavyset immigrant, turned toward the passengers and asked, "Anyone injured?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe the reception on radios in Sweden is not very good. I wouldn't expect to hear a crackling voice here.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,

Local buses are using their own radio, which is not digital, and it can be heard only within a short radius .

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Say:

As a consequence of the attack....

And:

Bus service to that area was suspended for the rest of the day.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

The longer I looked at those grey, nondescript buildings....

And:

Those people did not choose to be here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it really relevant that the bus driver is an immigrant?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr2d2,
Most bus drivers in Sweden are immigrants. There are a few reasons for that. Native Swedes do not want that job because it is boring and difficult, and for many immigrants bus driving is often the only opportunity to get a decent job. I think that in my story it is relevant that the bus driver is an immigrant.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can see that the story revolves around immigration but you need to be aware that referring to someone as an immigrant can sound derogatory. Perhaps you would be better off specifying his ethnicity in some way.

Perhaps:

The driver, a heavyset man of Scottish descent, ...
The driver, a heavyset man who had moved to Sweden from [name of country] ten years earlier, ...

Don't forget that anyone who has moved to Sweden from their home country is an immigrant, including foreign nationals working in high-powered jobs, the foreign spouses of Swedish nationals etc.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I appreciate what you say, but I cannot see how the word "immigrant" could be derogatory in this text. I hear that word at least dozens of times on the radio every day on a British radio station.. I cannot specify the country of a driver because I do not know where he did come from. I can for example write that he had dark hair and and swarthy skin. In the second part of my text, after the Nobel Prize Banquet is finished, a group of immigrant cleaners will clean all the rubbish. As probably 90% of cleaners in Sweden are immigrants, I do not know how to call them otherwise but immigrants. Here in Sweden, we who have moved from other countries are called immigrants. Even if you are born in Sweden by the immigrant parents, they call you the second generation of immigrants.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

They asserted (claimed?) that the more people who came to this cold country the more jobs would be created and the more prosperous the country would be.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Therefore the best possible solution was to locate them in the suburbs....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Say:

The media...tried to portray...

And:

After decades of denial, the police decided....

Status
Not open for further replies.