"The bar chart illustrates the outcome of a survey about the coffee and tea buying and drinking habits of people in five Australian cities..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I wrote this essay and have questions about issues I have encountered several times.

The bar chart illustrates the outcome of a survey about the coffee and tea buying and drinking habits of people in five Australian cities.

Overall, in all the cities except Adelaide, people preferred going to the cafe for coffee or tea to buying them.

Regarding Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney, and Brisbane, around 63% of people in both Melbourne and Hobart visited a cafe to get coffee or tea, compared to just above 55% of Brisbane's residents. Furthermore, the percentage of people who purchased instant coffee in Hobart was about 54%, which was the largest and was much higher than Sydney's figure of just over 45%. When it came to fresh coffee, however, Sydney had the highest proportion of people who bought it, at roughly 43%, while Brisbane had the lowest, at below 35%.

Adelaide was the only place where the percentage of residents who bought instant coffee was greater than that of residents who visited a cafe for that purpose; 50% purchased instant coffee, and a slightly lower proportion (roughly 49%) went to a cafe. Lastly, under 35% bought fresh coffee.

"Adelaide was the only place where the percentage of residents who bought instant coffee was greater than that of residents who visited a cafe for that purpose; 50% purchased instant coffee, and a slightly lower proportion (roughly 49%) went to a cafe."

1) Is it grammatical and acceptable to omit "of its residents" and just say "50%"?

2) And is it okay to use "a slightly lower proportion" as the subject of the second sentence? I didn't want to be repetitive and write something like this: 50% of its residents purchased instant coffee, and roughly 49% went to a cafe.

3) Was my use of that semicolon grammatical and okay?

"Furthermore, the percentage of people who purchased instant coffee in Hobart was about 54%, which was the largest and was much higher than Sydney's figure of just over 45%."

4) Is it okay to say "Sydney's figure of"? If not, please explain why.

Attachments

• IMG-20221017-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20221017-WA0001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

In all the cities except Adelaide, people preferred going to a cafe for coffee or tea rather than buying those products.

Since it is a recent survey, I would prefer present tense there.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. (What do you mean by "fresh coffee"?)
3. Yes.
4. Yes.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You do realize, don't you, that your "fresh coffee" sentence made the total go well over 100%?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
You do realize, don't you, that your "fresh coffee" sentence made the total go well over 100%?
Yes. It's possible that some of the people who went to a cafe or purchased instant coffee also bought fresh coffee.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Perhaps:

In all the cities except Adelaide, people preferred going to a cafe for coffee or tea rather than buying those products.

Since it is a recent survey, I would prefer present tense there.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. What do you mean by "fresh coffee"?)
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
Honestly, I don't know what "fresh coffee" means. I was describing a bar chart probably made by someone staying in a country that is very different from mine.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@hardyweineberg Well, when you buy coffee at a restaurant you always hope it's fresh. However, you're talking about people who buy coffee at a grocery to make it themselves at hone. (They still exist. 😉) In any case, you can't use two things as a first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.