Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I know the meaning of 'setting the bar high/low.'

"Assassin's creed 2 set the bar for action-adventure games."

This sentence has neither high or low. Is it similar to saying that it established a certain standard of expectation for the genre?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know the meaning of 'setting the bar high/low'.
Put the full stop outside the quotation marks when you haven't quoted a full sentence.
"Assassin's Creed 2 set the bar for action-adventure games."
Remember to capitalise titles correctly. Also, mark out titles in some way. I've put the title in italics above. You could have put it in quotation marks, although that would have entailed two sets of quotation marks together at the start.
This sentence has neither "high" nor "low".
Mark out words you're asking about.
Use "nor" with "neither". If you wanted to use "or", you would have had to say "This sentence doesn't have either "high" or "low"."
Is it similar to saying that it established a certain standard of expectation for the genre?
Yes.

You need to tell us where you found that quote. We need the name of the website/publication and the name of the author. That's a legal requirement here whenever you quote someone else's words.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've always thought that "set the bar" originated with the track and field events of high jump and pole vault. In both of those, competitors have to leap over a horizontal bar, the height of which increases as the event proceeds. So a high bar implies difficulty and a low bar means easy.