[Grammar] The bone (help/helps) us move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I [STRIKE]need[/STRIKE] would like to know which of the following sentences is correct. [STRIKE]of the following,[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]- The bone (help/helps) us move.[/STRIKE]

1. The bone help us move.
2. The bone helps us move.

The sentence is talking about bones in general and their function and purpose, not about a specific bone. Should "help" or "helps" be used?

This thread has become hopelessly confused. Let's go back to your original post (please see above for how it should have been laid out).

1. Based on one of your later responses, please tell us which sentence appeared in your niece's "school book" - was it sentence 1 or sentence 2?
2. Please do as you were asked before and explain what you mean by "school book". Are you talking about a text book? If so, you must give us the title and author. Are you talking about the exercise book in which your niece writes her own work? If so, the sentence was actually written by your niece.

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
My nieces are Arab. They study English in School as a second language. The school provides them with a book to help them study English. The same happens for maths, Arabic and other subjects. Each subject has a book which they should study.
Unfortunately, I do not know the author or the title of the book. The sentence mentioned was #2 "The bone helps us move.". The sentence was written by the author not my nieces.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My nieces are Arab. They study English in school as a second language. The school provides them with a book to help them study English. The same happens for maths, Arabic and other subjects. Each subject has a book which they should study.
Unfortunately, I do not know the author or the title of the book. The sentence mentioned was #2 "The bone helps us move.". The sentence was written by the author not my nieces.

Unfortunately, that is not a good example of an English sentence. The problem, of course, is not grammar.

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Unfortunately, that is not a good example of an English sentence. The problem, of course, is not grammar.
So, if the writer is not talking about a specific bone and uses "The" is grammatically correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The bone helps us move" is grammatically correct. (How could it not be?)

Just because a sentence is grammatically correct that doesn't mean it means anything. In fact, it is relatively easy to devise grammatical sentences that are meaningless. But I for one do not want to waste a lot of time doing that.

I don't know how old your nieces are, but surely any adult understands that bones don't do anything for us. (A friend can help you move, but a bone can't help you move.)

(We can discuss bones in terms of anatomy and physiology, but that is, I think, a different subject.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.