[Grammar] The boys played football and basketball on the weekend..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The boys played football and basketball on the weekend.

In the above sentence, kindly tell me if the "football and basketball" is direct compound object or indirect compound object.
Please tell me is "the weekend" also an object and if it is, what type of object it is.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you very much. The problem with learning English Grammar is that we usually find wrong references and explanations over internet.

Then the last recourse is to come to a platform like this forum where helpful people like you are a blessing.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It would be very nice if you will help me finding the direct and indirect objects in this sentence- "The man looked at the paintings on the wall.".

I am very confused in differentiating between direct and indirect objects. It would be nice if I could get any reference from where I can learn about them.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Look", being a transitive verb in this sentence should have some object. Am I wrong?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you for your reply.
Would you please explain a little why "look" is intransitive in that sentence?
I have come to know that the thing that replies "what/whom" in context of the verb then it is object of the verb. Here in this sentence, "at the paintings on the wall" answers what was looked at, so why shouldn't it be the object of the verb "look".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would you please explain a little why "look" is intransitive in that sentence?
I have come to know that the thing that replies "what/whom" in context of the verb then it is object of the verb. Here in this sentence, "at the paintings on the wall" answers what was looked at, so why shouldn't it be the object of the verb "look".

Transitive verbs, such as the following, take direct objects. Think of these objects as 'something'. The object is the recipient of the verb.

take something
explain something
see something

Intransitive verbs, such as the following, cannot take direct objects. You cannot say:

*come something
*reply something
*look something

However, they can be followed by adverbial phrases. Adverbial phrases are often phrases that include a preposition. These are called 'preposition phrases'.

come with me
reply to her message
look at this example

In each case, the green phrase is a preposition phrase acting as an adverbial.

Don't confuse direct objects with adverbial phrases.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In each case, the green phrase is a preposition phrase acting as an adverbial.

Don't confuse direct objects with adverbial phrases.
Are the green phrases described as "adverbial preposition phrases", or is the longer description necessary for clarity?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are the green phrases described as "adverbial preposition phrases", or is the longer description necessary for clarity?

Functionally, they're adverbial. Formally, they're PPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.