the bulk amount doesn't even equal the amount paid for this claim"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If an insurance company says that they paid $300 for my claim and the bulk amount of the check was $250 then can I say "How could it be even possible because the bulk amount doesn't even equal the amount paid for this claim"?

Bulk amount means the combined paid amount for more than one claim so it is usually higher than the amount paid for any given claim.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How is this possible when the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?

Thanks for explaining the special meaning of "bulk amount" in this context. Note that I removed the adverb "even". It doesn't add anything except a sense of exasperation which isn't appropriate in a business setting and probably won't help you resolve the problem.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
How is this possible when the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim? Thanks for explaining the special meaning of "bulk amount" in this context. Note that I removed the adverb "even". It doesn't add anything except a sense of exasperation which isn't appropriate in a business setting and probably won't help you resolve the problem.
Is it also correct to replace "When" with "That"? Like "How is this possible that the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?" Why did you use "When" there? Could you please explain it to me?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it also correct to replace "When" with "That"? Like "How is this possible that the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?" Why did you use "When" there? Could you please explain it to me?
You can use "that" if you make one change: "How is it possible that the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?" This follows the pattern it is possible that.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You can use "that" if you make one change: "How is it possible that the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?" This follows the pattern it is possible that.

You didn't tell me about "When" in your sentence. Is it normally used like this instead of "That"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You didn't tell me about "When" in your sentence. Is it normally used like this instead of "That"?
No. But you used "this" rather than "it", so I used a word that would work. If you ask "How is it possible that the bulk amount is less," you have to use the pattern How is X possible when Y is true? The two conditions happen at the same time, so you use a time-related conjunction.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. But you used "this" rather than "it", so I used a word that would work. If you ask "How is it possible that the bulk amount is less," you have to use the pattern How is X possible when Y is true? The two conditions happen at the same time, so you use a time-related conjunction.

Sorry, but I don't understand.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What part of it do you not understand?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What part of it do you not understand?

"The two conditions happen at the same time, so you use a time-related conjunction."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to know more about that too.
:)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you really going to say bulk amount? It's not natural. I didn't understand what it meant until you explained it.

Why not balance due or total?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you really going to say bulk amount? It's not natural. I didn't understand what it meant until you explained it.

Why not balance due or total?
Tufguy explained that "bulk amount" is a term used in his industry, or at least in his office.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think "bulk amount" is an accepted term in business. A search on Google shows nothing. "Total amount"or "aggregate" is more understandable.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "bulk amount" is an accepted term in business. A search on Google shows nothing. "Total amount"or "aggregate" is more understandable.
If it's jargon used and understood in Tufguy's industry in his region, it's fine for him to use it — provided he's communicating with people who understand it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want to know more about that too.
:)

Can we say "How is this possible when the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?" Or "How is it possible when the bulk amount is less than the total paid for this claim?"?

Are both of these correct? Can we use "When" while using "It" and "This"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy explained that "bulk amount" is a term used in his industry, or at least in his office.
Sort of. As I said in post 11, I read his explanation. (Of course.)

It's clear enough that that's how the Hindi expression translates literally into English. But idioms lose their meaning when translated for-for-word. Since he's writing in English, it makes sense to use English expressions.

Bulk amount
isn't one. I like Ted's total amount and aggregate.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

How is it possible that the bulk amount is less than the total paid for the claim? It doesn't add up!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Charlie, I think you mean word for word.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sort of. As I said in post 11, I read his explanation. (Of course.)

It's clear enough that that's how the Hindi expression translates literally into English. But idioms lose their meaning when translated for-for-word. Since he's writing in English, it makes sense to use English expressions.

Bulk amount
isn't one. I like Ted's total amount and aggregate.

This term is understood by the US insurance companies as well. Ask someone who works with an insurance comp.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If an insurance company says that they paid $300 for my claim and the bulk amount of the check was $250 then can I say "How could it be even possible because the bulk amount doesn't even equal the amount paid for this claim"?

Bulk amount means the combined paid amount for more than one claim so it is usually higher than the amount paid for any given claim.

In that case, shouldn't it be these claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.