(The computer)/ (computers) has brought about huge changes in education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody,
I know that we can use "the+singular noun" instead of plural forms to make a general statement:

(1) (The computer)/ (computers) has brought about huge changes in education.
==> Here both "the computer" and "computers" are correct to use.

(2) Online learning requires (the teacher’s assistance)/ (teachers’ assistance) and involvement.
==> Here both form are correct to use.

But when I make my own sentence and apply the same rule above, my native friend say that my sentence is wrong with "the+singular form":

(3) Meals should contain various nutrients.
==>This sentence is correct.

(4) The meal should contain various nutrients.
==> But this sentence is considered wrong. Could you please give me an explanation when I can use "the +singular noun" is correct to use rather than plural forms in general statements.

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The problem is that "the" specifies what you are talking about. With "computer", that works because there is only one such electronic device. However, with "meal" it doesn't work, because there are different meals or types of meals (not just one specific one).

Therefore to answer your question, you can use "the" + [singular noun] if there is only one such item/object and if there is no scope for confusion.

When talking about some intrinsic quality/aspect, we tend to use the singular structure.
For example,
The mobile phone revolutionized modern communication.
The liver is a vital organ.
The Jacaranda is native to South America.

When talking about something that applies in general to (multiple) instances of something, we tend to use the plural.
For example,
Mobile phones are expensive in my country.
Rat livers are often used in medical research.
Young Jacarandas are usually on sale in January

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
However, with "meal" it doesn't work, because there are different meals or types of meals (not just one specific one).
There may be different types of meals such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, light meals, midnight-snacks, meals for

But even when I narrow to a specific type of meals such as meals for thin people, It seem that I still can't use "the" here:

(3) The meal for thin people should contain various nutrients.
(4) Meals for thin people should contain various nutrients .

I know that (4) works, but I don't know that why (3) don't work as a general statement.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But even when I narrow it down to a specific type of meals meal such as meals for thin people, it seem that I still can't use "the" here:

(3) The meal for thin people should contain various nutrients.
(4) Meals for thin people should contain various nutrients .

I know that (4) works, but I don't know that why (3) don't doesn't work as a general statement.
I don't know why you've chosen "thin people", but let's consider diabetics, for example.

The diabetic meal plan should not include any high GI foods.
That's a perfectly acceptable sentence, and it's talking in general terms.
---------------------

However, I think I know what's making you confused.

a- Planes are fascinating for most people.
b- The plane is fascinating for most people.
In "a", we are talking about all different types of planes.
In "b", the focus is on the plane as an object/invention/one mode of transport.

It's not always easy to fully comprehend the subtle difference, and in many cases, either structure works (there is much overlap). However, as you read more and more (quality authentic material), you will get to discern that difference.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi,
I have learned and asked about this matter a lot, but I am still in confusion.

I found this sentence on a job advertisement:

(1) Your job is to work with the customer, make phone calls, organize events....
==> As I see that this is not a general statement, but we still can use "the customer" instead of "customers" with the same meaning. People tell me that "the customer" here mean "customers" in general, not a specific customer.

But for this situation,in which one of my foreign friends ask me:

(2) Is (the) foreigner allowed to buy a house /houses in your country?
==>People tell me that I can't use "the foreigner" instead of "foreigners". The sentence (2) is incorrect. They also tell me that "the foreigner' here refer to a specific foreigner, not foreigners in general as in sentence (1). I even don't think that I can use "the house" instead of "houses" with the same meaning.

If so when or in which kinds of contexts, situations, I can use the form "the +singular noun" instead of "plural noun" with the same meaning.
Native speakers can instinctively know when it should be used, when not, but as a learner, it is hard to know.
Could you give me some explanation and advice for me?

Thank you.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi,
I have learned and asked about this matter a lot, but I am still in confusion.
As I said above, and I'll say it again: the more you read, the less confusion you'll have.
(1) Your job is to work with the customer, make phone calls, organize events....
==> As I see that this is not a general statement, but we still can use "the customer" instead of "customers" with the same meaning. People tell me that "the customer" here mean "customers" in general, not a specific customer.
In that context, the individual customer is important to the company, hence the preference for "the customer" over "customers".
(2) Is (the) foreigner allowed to buy a house /houses in your country?
Unless the word "foreigner" had already been mentioned previously in that text, "the" is not justified. It should be "foreigners" without "the". Also, use a "house" unless you specifically want to ask about buying more than one house.
If so when or in which kinds of contexts, situations, I can can I use the form "the +singular noun" instead of "plural noun" with the same meaning?
Native speakers can instinctively know when it each should be used, when not, but as a learner, it is hard to know.
Could you give me some explanation and advice for me?
Thank you.
For the umpteenth time, get into the habit of READING a variety of quality texts written by native/proficient people, and you'll get to learn the difference between those two uses.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
the more you read, the less confusion you'll have.
I seems that I don’t have talent for language. Actually, I read a lot of materials in English, but the more I read the more I feel confused, I can’t grasp why the writer use different forms in different situations :(
Why “the customer “ can’t be misunderstood as a specific customer, but “the foreigner” can can be understood as a specific foreigner” in above examples?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
My suggestion - not being sarcastic - just stop questioning and accept anything a native speaker or writer says as correct.

Wait for a few months.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
just stop questioning and accept anything a native speaker or writer says as correct.
That is not good advice, particularly if you are studying English in order to take internationally recognised examinations. Many native speakers would not gain high marks in such examinations.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Is the OP trying to learn English or trying to pass an exam? We don't know.

I learnt my English by doing what I suggested. So it's natural enough that I'd recommend it. That's how native speakers learn too, isn't it?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is the OP trying to learn English or trying to pass an exam? We don't know.
True, but whatever they are trying to to, the advice to just stop questioning and accept anything a native speaker or writer says as correct is not sound.
I learnt my English by doing what I suggested. So it's natural enough that I'd recommend it. That's how native speakers learn too, isn't it?

. No.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Wait for a few months.
I have been learning English, especially about this matter for quite a long time. I also have been reading a lot, but I am still in confusion. When it come to practice, I am even confused more, I keep wondering should I use "the+singular noun" or "plural noun" when talking to a class of thing ("the computer/computers; "the foreigner/ foreigners, the customer /customers...)...

Is the foreigner allowed to buy a house in your country?
==> Here I would like to apply ("the customer"= "customers" in general) example above , but it doesn't work here with foreigners, I don't know why

"the customer"= "customers" in general.
but NOT :"the foreigner"="foreigner" in general.

Also I it is because I have been reading a lot so that I spot that difference so often, but I myself can not know why. If I know the reason, I can apply for my own sentences and feel confident when making a sentence.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"the customer"= "customers" in general.
but NOT
"the foreigner"="foreigner" in general.
"Customer" is very important to the company('s survival). By using "the", you're individualizing the customer. In contrast, "foreigner" is not important, so we talk of "foreigners" in general.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
It seems that I don’t have a talent for languages.
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, LE AVOCADO. Article usage is really complex. Grammar books can give you some basic guidelines but there are nuances that can't be reduced to a few rules. One of the forum members, a native English speaker, once said that the natural use of articles is the last thing to fall into place for a foreign learner's speaking/writing to sound native-like. As a non-native speaker, I completely agree with her. It may take years, so keep practising.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In over 55 years of teaching English, I have still not found a simple fail-safe way of explaining all the uses of the definite article.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi,
Thank you so much for your comments.

I have another sentence, if "the+ singular" works for this sentence :

It is hard for the foreigner to buy a house in a country which is not his/her hometown.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It is hard for the foreigner to buy a house in a country which is not his/her hometown.
That is not wrong, but if it's the first mention of "foreigner" in that context, or if there's no reason for putting emphasis on "foreigner", you're more likely to say "a foreigner" or "foreigners".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I seems that I don’t have a talent for language. Actually, I read a lot of materials in English, but the more I read the more I feel confused. I can’t grasp why the writer uses/used different forms in different situations. :(
Why can't “the customer“ can’t be misunderstood as a specific customer, but “the foreigner” can can be understood as a specific foreigner” in the above examples?
I wouldn't say you don't have a talent for languages. Your English is entirely understandable but it contains classic non-native errors (articles, punctuation, word order) as you can see from my corrections above. These are all errors you shouldn't be making if you're concentrating on the contents of all this good quality material you say you're reading in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.