Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
This is my IELTS question, and I have a few questions.
The diagram depicts the production of electricity from geothermal energy.
Overall, it is clear that this process is a linear one involving five steps. It starts with pumping cold water and ends with the generation of electricity.

To begin with, cold water in a container is pumped through a pipe that is 4.5 km long to an injection well. The water then passes through a geothermal zone, where there are hot rocks, before reaching the production well. After this occurs, the water, now hot, is pumped up to a condenser.

In the fourth step, the hot water, after being transferred to the condenser, is turned into steam, which then moves, through a pipe-like connection, to a turbine. This turbine is powered by steam, and when steam flows into it, it is activated. Afterwards, the turbine powers a generator, and this generator generates electricity by transmitting power to a tall structure with some projections. It is worth noting that the generator and turbine are housed in the same container.

1) Is it correct to call this a man-made process?
2) Can I say "pumping of cold water", or should it be "the pumping of cold water"?
3) Was the phrase "now hot" used grammatically?
4) Is correct to say "pipe-like connection"?
5) Were the words "activated" and "housed" used correctly?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518-194245_Telegram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230518-194245_Telegram.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 2

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This is my IELTS question, practice, and I have a few questions.

The diagram depicts the production of electricity from geothermal energy.
Overall, it is clear that this process is a linear one involving involves five main steps, three of which are above ground, and two take place under ground. It starts with pumping cold water and ends with the generation of electricity.

To begin with, cold water in a container is pumped from a large tank above ground through a pipe that is down 4.5 km long to an underground injection well. The water then passes through a geothermal zone, where there are hot rocks that it flows over, before reaching the production well. After this occurs, The heated water, now hot, is subsequently pumped back up to a condenser that is above ground.

In the fourth step, the hot water , after being transferred turns to steam in the condenser unit. After that, the steam from the condenser is turned into steam, which then moves, through a pipe-like connection, fed to a turbine. . This turbine is powered by steam, and when steam flows into it, it is activated. Afterwards, the turbine The steam causes the turbine to rotate, powers a generator, and this motion allows the generator generates to produce electricity. Finally, the electricity produced from such geothermal plants is transmitted to the grid and used for various domestic and industrial purposes. by transmitting power to a tall structure with some projections. It is worth noting that the generator and turbine are housed in the same container.
-------------------------
1) Is it correct to call this a man-made process?
No. Don’t use the word “man-made” in the above.

2) Can I say "pumping of cold water", or should it be "the pumping of cold water"?
See above.

3) Was the phrase "now hot" used grammatically?
Yes, but see suggestion above.

4) Is correct to say "pipe-like connection"?
There’s no real need for it.

5) Were the words "activated" and "housed" used correctly?
No. “Container” is the wrong word.