Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi. In the following sentence, I would like to know why the authors have used "who" as a relative pronoun for an insect?
"Perhaps that fear is fed by the knowledge of how the spiders got their name: the female who has a red mark on her belly, sometimes eats the male."
This sentence is taken from the book "Building vocabulary skills".
Thank you.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I would like to know why the authors have used "who" as a relative pronoun for an insect?
What would you suggest?

In that specific sentence construction, I think "who" fits. There's no rule saying "who" can't be used for animals or insects. It sometimes is.

That's a very general name. It'd be good to mention the author or the publisher.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi. In the following sentence, I would like to know why the authors have used "who" as a relative pronoun for an insect?
"Perhaps that fear is fed by the knowledge of how the spiders got their name: the female who has a red mark on her belly, sometimes eats the male."
Thank you.
Try this. ("Note that who may be used to discuss animal behavior in scientific and academic writing.")

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

In the following sentence, I would like to know why the authors have used "who" as a relative pronoun for an insect?

This sentence is taken from the book "Building Vocabulary Skills".

Thank you. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
Note my corrections and comments above. You need to provide the names of the authors of that book. It's a legal requirement to cite your source in full. (You clearly know who wrote it because you used "authors" in your opening sentence, making it clear there's more than one.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The pronoun who goes with her. If you commit to her, you have to commit to who.

The female, which has a red mark on her belly ❌

Both who and her are 'personal' in a sense, giving the impression that whatever they're referring to has a kind of personhood. That doesn't mean that they are persons in a strict philosophical or legal sense, just that we're considering them as if they were. We personify a range of things that are significant to us, not just each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.