Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A mountaineer is a person who climbs mountains regularly, usually someone who takes it quite seriously. People who live in mountainous areas aren't necessarily mountaineers.
I repeat, "mountaineer" in modern speech is only used to refer to mountain climbers (who may well live in a completely flat city when they aren't mountaineering). :) I've never heard it used to refer to people living in the mountains and if it's used that way, it's very uncommon.
Both of the posts I've quoted above were liked by three native English speakers. That should tell you all you need to know. If you're determined to use "mountaineer", we can't stop you but you need to know that any native English speaker who reads your translation will assume you're talking about someone who climbs mountains, whether for fun or competitively. The result will be the same whether you follow it with "woman" or not. The word "mountaineer" is unisex.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
emsr2d2, what about the passages that I provided above? The authors are using this word. And they are native speakers. What's your solution? 'Montain woman'? The article I'm translating is focused on the status of women in mountainous regions in 18th-century Russia.

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
How about this one - "She was a typical mountaineeress, tall, angular and sallow, but there was gleam of intelligence in her face, quite unlike the lacklustreness of the usual woman of the mountains"? I guess I'm just going to go with 'mountaineeress'. You do have people in the UK who live in the mountains, don't you? What do you call them?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"She was a typical mountaineeress, tall, angular and sallow, but there was gleam of intelligence in her face, quite unlike the lacklustreness of the usual woman of the mountains"
If that's your sentence, then 'mountain woman' is fine.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
OK. I'm going with this one. I appreciate it.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Would it also be OK to say 'mountain female'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I believe most people would interpret "mountaineer" as "mountain climber" and not "inhabitant of a mountainous region".

So do I.

(I think I read it in ‘The Nervous Mountaineer‘ by Alf Hall.)

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The problem is that none of the online dictionaries lists this term in the meaning 'a native or inhabitant of a mountainous area' (see it for yourself here) as archaic. Actually, because I don't know much about mountain climbing, I was somewhat surprised to find out that a mountaineer is also someone who climbs mountains for sport. Personally, I would use 'mountain climber' - or even 'alpinist'!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
.I wonder why you ask our opinions when you seem to go out of your way to reject them once given

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The problem is that none of the online dictionaries lists this term in the meaning 'a native or inhabitant of a mountainous area' (see it for yourself here) as archaic.
It isn't a problem.

Various native speakers and a non-native who speaks the language regularly (me) have said it doesn't mean an inhabitant of a mountainous area. Why are you reluctant to accept our answers?

Regular usage trumps dictionary definitions. Dictionary definitions go by the book, don't always take custom into account and can't be viewed as completely authoritative. They're a guide. The authority comes from people who speak the language regularly.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, I did not reject 'mountain woman', did I?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
End of thread.
Not your prerogative to say that.

You didn't answer my question.

You've edited your post to delete your statement, "End of thread". I wonder why.

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I actually had not seen yours - honestly. I'm happy with the term 'mountain woman'. Thank you, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.