The flashy advertisements and an adrenaline-inducing test drive convinced Lisa and she impulse-bought an Italian super car

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone bought something without considering different aspects of purchasing it. Can I use 'impulse-buy'? Is this correct and natural?

The flashy advertisements and an adrenaline-inducing test drive convinced Lisa and she impulse-bought an Italian super car, even though it was way beyond her budget.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would, I believe, be an entirely new verb. In any case, you already have "impulsively bought", which would make perfect sense there.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Since you've creatively coined an original compound verb, it's just about as unnatural as you can get. Still, the meaning is perfectly clear.

After many years of reading your questions, I still don't really understand what you want us to do. You're obviously interested in using the language creatively, so why do you insist on asking us whether what you say is 'correct' or 'natural'? Why don't you just ask us if we think your writing is any good?