Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone. I think the red 'them' is unclear because it could refer to 'sneakers' so I repeated 'advertisements'. But I think the green 'them' clearly refers to the advertisements. Is this correct?

Targeted advertising means they will see advertisements promoting those sneakers as long as they are online: they will see
[STRIKE]them/[/STRIKE]the advertisements when they scroll through their Facebook feed; they will see them when they watch Youtube videos.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Change "advertisements promoting those sneakers" to "specific sneaker ads" and it's sorted.

Remember the correct capitalisation of YouTube.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, everyone. I think the red 'them' is unclear because it could refer to 'sneakers' so I repeated 'advertisements'. But I think the green 'them' clearly refers to the advertisements. Is this correct?

Targeted advertising means they will see advertisements promoting those sneakers as long as they are online: they will see
[STRIKE]them/[/STRIKE]the advertisements when they scroll through their Facebook feed; they will see them when they watch Youtube videos.
You're right, "them" might refer to either advertisements or sneakers. So yes, change the first them. to advertisements. The second one will be understood.

(And luckily, it doesn't matter. People will scroll and see the advertisements and the sneakers!)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it really necessary to explain it in such detail? We all know what adverts do.

Targeted advertising means individual internet users see ads specifically aimed at them across all platforms.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we usually say "ads," rarely say "advertisements," and never say "adverts."

And "advertisement" is pronounced differently in the two countries:

- US: AD-vert-ize-ment

- UK: ad-VERT-iss-ment

But I think we say "advertise" the same way.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Change "advertisements promoting those sneakers" to "specific sneaker ads" and it's sorted.
Thank you both. Here is more context. Could you read it and let me know if 'specific sneaker ads' fit my context. This is academic writing so I used 'advertisements' instead of 'ads'.

Consider those who have browsed some sneakers on Amazon.com. They may be able to resist the temptation to buy at first. However, targeted advertising means they will see advertisements promoting those sneakers/specific sneaker advertisements as long as they are online: they will see the advertisements when they scroll through their Facebook feed; they will see them when they watch YouTube videos.

Is it really necessary to explain it in such detail? We all know what adverts do.

Targeted advertising means individual internet users see ads specifically aimed at them across all platforms.
Yes, this is what IELTS examiners want.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you both. Here is more context. Could you read it and let me know if 'specific sneaker ads' fit my context. This is academic writing so I used 'advertisements' instead of 'ads'.

Consider those who have [STRIKE]browsed[/STRIKE] looked at [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a pair of sneakers on Amazon. [STRIKE]com.[/STRIKE] They [STRIKE]may be[/STRIKE] might have been able to resist the temptation to buy at first [STRIKE]However,[/STRIKE] but targeted advertising means they will see advertisements [STRIKE]promoting[/STRIKE] for those sneakers [STRIKE]/specific sneaker advertisements[/STRIKE][STRIKE] as long as they are[/STRIKE] everywhere online. [STRIKE]they will see the advertisements when they scroll through their Facebook feed; they will see them when they watch YouTube videos.[/STRIKE]

See above. The additional context at the start makes it clear why you wanted to use "those sneakers". We don't browse a particular brand and product. We browse sneakers. We look at a specific pair of sneakers. (For info, they're "trainers" in BrE.)

Yes, this is what IELTS examiners want.

I didn't know it was IELTS practice.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We look at a specific pair of sneakers.

Thank you very much. What should I use in the last clause, 'a pair' or 'the pair'?
Also, Is changing 'buy' to 'purchase' incorrect because 'purchase' can be used intransitively?

Consider those who have looked at a pair of sneakers on Amazon. They might have been able to resist the temptation to buy[STRIKE]/purchase [/STRIKE]at first, but targeted advertising means they will see advertisements for those sneakers everywhere online. This repeat exposure will heighten their desire to buy. The result may be that they cannot contain themselves anymore and finally purchase a pair/the pair even though they do not need them.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I suddenly realized if I use 'a backpack' instead of 'a pair of sneakers', all pronouns would be clear. I understand the underlined sentence is unnecessary. I only left it in there to learn pronouns.

Consider those who have looked at a Nike backpack on Amazon. They might have been able to resist the temptation to buy at first, but targeted advertising means they will see advertisements for the backpack everywhere online: they will see them('Them' is clear, it can only refer to 'advertisements') when they scroll through their Facebook feed; they will see them when they watch YouTube videos. This repeat exposure will heighten their desire to buy. The result may be that they cannot contain themselves anymore and finally purchase one even though they do not need it.

Please also answer my questions in #8. I want to learn pronouns.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The references of your pronouns are clear enough, yes.

purchase is fine.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do think, however, that you mean particular, not specific: a particular pair of sneakers.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, do you guys mean for the red part, either 'a pair' or 'the pair' would work? I think 'a pair' is better.

Consider those who have looked at a pair of sneakers on Amazon. They might have been able to resist the temptation to buy/purchase at first, but targeted advertising means they will see advertisements for those sneakers everywhere online. This repeat exposure will heighten their desire to buy. The result may be that they cannot contain themselves anymore and finally purchase a pair/the pair even though they do not need them.

For this version, why does 'one' clearly refer to the backpack? They are so far away.

Consider those who have looked at a Nike backpack on Amazon. They might have been able to resist the temptation to buy at first, but targeted advertising means they will see advertisements for the backpack everywhere online: they will see them when they scroll through their Facebook feed; they will see them when they watch YouTube videos. This repeat exposure will heighten their desire to buy. The result may be that they cannot contain themselves anymore and finally purchase one even though they do not need it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Charlie has already answered that question. He quoted your words "I think "a pair" is better" and he responded with "I do, too".

Status
Not open for further replies.