Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
g) Now try whispering "aaah". Do the vocal cords buzz? The vocal cords modify the flow of air coming out of your lungs, but this modification is not necessary in order for you to hear "aaah". (Whispering is audible, after all.)

Source: University of Oxford http://www.phon.ox.ac.uk/jcoleman/respiration-unicode.html

Is "the flow of air coming" parsed in the following way: the flow of air (which is) coming?
What's the syntax of "the flow of air coming"?

When you exhale, air is expelled (comes out of your lungs).

Being a bit of a purist about certain things, I'd say you can parse it as "that is coming" (but not "which").

Being a bit of a purist about certain things, I'd say you can parse it as "that is coming" (but not "which").
I wonder about the reasons "that" should be used there.

I wonder about the reasons "that" should be used there.
Do you? OK.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you haven't asked a question. A better post would have been something that starts with the word "Why". Try again.

Reactions: 5jj
Of course, I can.
Why should "that" be used there?

I use indirect questions when I would like to sound less direct.

Of course no comma here I can.

Why should "that" be used there?

I use indirect questions when I would like to sound less direct.
There's no reason to sound "less direct". You're here to learn. The best way to do that is to ask clear, direct questions.

Have you studied the difference in usage between "that" and "which"?

I know that "which", "who", and "that" are used for things, people, and both respectively.
This is all I know.

I think 'which' is acceptable. So does the writer of the article you linked us to.

Last edited:
I think 'which' is acceptable. So does the writer of the article you linked us to.
I'm in a rapidly shrinking minority. My middle school English teacher would be turning in her grave (if she were dead!)

What is the reason the word the is not needed between "the flow of" and "air coming"?
It seems to me that there should be.

Back