Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

The furniture looked like they were bought when Elvis Presley was still rocking and rolling. A passionate marriage needs new furniture, at least a new bed anyway. Their house stank of a marriage that had gone stale for far too long.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

The furniture looked like [STRIKE]they were[/STRIKE] it was bought when Elvis [Presley] was still rocking and rolling. A passionate marriage needs new furniture, or at least a new bed. [STRIKE]anyway.[/STRIKE] Their house [STRIKE]stank[/STRIKE] reeked of a long-stale marriage. [STRIKE]that had gone stale for far too long. [/STRIKE]

See above. Most people will know who you mean if you just say "Elvis".

I'm not hugely keen on the idea of a house smelling of a stale marriage but if you like it, keep it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Las Vegas, Nevada, north of the tourist-occupied Strip, there are two or three of blocks of "antique" stores full of Elvis-era and -vibe stuff. My wife and I discovered it when we were at a wedding. Great browsing if you love Formica and leopard-print vinyl. One place was selling an Edsel:

edsel.jpeg

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See above. Most people will know who you mean if you just say "Elvis".

I'm not hugely keen on the idea of a house smelling of a stale marriage but if you like it, keep it.
The thing is, when Al says it, I can smell it. So it stays!

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In Las Vegas, Nevada, north of the tourist-occupied Strip, there are two or three of blocks of "antique" stores full of Elvis-era and -vibe stuff. My wife and I discovered it when we were at a wedding. Great browsing if you love Formica and leopard-print vinyl. One place was selling an Edsel:

View attachment 3879

Look at that! Maybe that's just me but the car looks oddly proud! Like a thoroughbred stallion that has won the Kentucky Derby!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Look at that! Maybe that's just me but the car looks oddly proud! Like a thoroughbred stallion that has won the Kentucky Derby!
Oh, yes! Unfortunately, it was a complete flop, because people hated the sound of the word Edsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.