Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148]In the past, decorated closets with mother-of-pearl was very important furniture. And hardwood dinning table and well-sculpted living room furniturewere the symbol of wealth. So people wanted to have such heavy and large furniture.
But nowadays, as the number of family members is decreasing, people want to have simple but multi-functional furniture. And also as single people living in urban areas increase, heavy and large furniture has become useless in this era.[/FONT]

Are the underlined correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Hardwood dining tables and well-sculpted living room furniture were symbols of wealth.

Are Korean families getting smaller?

Perhaps:

Heavy furniture has become less desirable.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Say:

Hardwood dining tables and well-sculpted living room furniture were symbols of wealth.

Perhaps:

When I was a kid in 70s, most families were big ones with three to four children and grandparents.
Daughter-in-laws had to serve their mother-in-laws. We even had a joke like this - as a daughter-in-law, you have to behave like a deaf for three years, a dumb for another three years and a blind for another three years - blind obedience and sacrifice was the forced virtue for Korean daughter-in-laws due to Confucianism.
These days, most families are nuclear ones only with one or two children, affected by westernization.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was a kid in the 70s, most families were big ones with three to four children and grandparents.
Daughters-in-law had to serve their mothers-in-law. We even had a joke like this - as a daughter-in-law, you have to behave like a deaf person for three years, a dumb person for another three years and a blind person for another three years - blind obedience and sacrifice was the forced virtue for Korean daughters-in-law due to Confucianism.
These days, most families are nuclear ones with only one or two children, affected by westernization.

I think urbanization affects that as much as anything else. (Not that I'm an expert on the subject.)

I think Western families used to be pretty close to what you describe not so long ago.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
simple but multifunctional furniture

I think you mean simple or unornate furniture.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What were you trying to describe with "multifunctional"? It's a perfectly good word; I'm just not sure it's the one you needed.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Say:

Perhaps:

Do you know if this term is correct?mother-of-pearl.jpg
I don't know if it is "mother-of-pearl" or "shell craft" or anything else. The attached picture is a piece of furniture with it.

In the past, decorated closets with mother-of-pearl was very important furniture.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say it was highly valued.

(That looks expensive.)