Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is is always "At the concert" not "At a concert" because it's a fixed expression? Just like "At the station", "At the doctor's" etc.
"Were there many people at the concert last night?"
It's from "Essential Grammar in Use" by Raymond Murphy.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's only "the concert" if you know which concert is being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It's only "the concert" if you know which concert is being discussed.

Are "at a station" and "at a doctor's" also possible in the right context? For example, "I met her at a station." If mention them, "station" and "at a doctor's" for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are "at a station" and "at a doctor's" also possible in the right context? For example, "I met her at a station." If mention them, "station" and "at a doctor's" for the first time.

In colloquial BrE the surgery that you normally attend would be "the doctor's" without any need to establish that you are talking about your own doctor.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I agree. I merely noted that 'at a doctor's' is possible.

So the definite article in these expressions which I asked about and in my new sentences shows that we are talking about specific places. Am I right? For example, "On the bus" and "on the train". "I came home on the bus." "I had a meal on the train." If it is because the person who is speaking is on the specific train and bus which he is speaking about, I can understand it , but "Essential Grammar in Use" by Murphy shows a man in the picture and says "He is in a plane" and in another picture it says "They are at a wedding." Not "At the wedding" or "On the plane."
The complete sentences are here:

1. "Are you hungry after your journey?" "No, I had a meal on the train."

2. "I walked to work but I came home by the bus."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
1. The first speaker presumably knows that the second's journey was by train, so 'the train' can suggest "the particular train on which I was travelling.
2. This one is slightly unusual - I'd expect 'by bus'. 'By the bus' suggests a particular bus know to both parties in the conversation.

I have to warn you that if you are looking for rock-hard rules on the use of articles, you are going to be disappointed. In some cases, we have a lot of leeway.

Oh, yes. I know that. Then if we have the definite article with "bus", "train", "plane", etc it suggests that the word was mentioned before, doesn't it?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, yes. I know that. Then if we have the definite article with "bus", "train", "plane", etc it suggests that the word was mentioned before, doesn't it?
I'm afraid not. I hasten to add that this is not my fault.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not his fault. It's my fault. ;-)

If I say "I took the bus" I am not talking about any particular bus. I took the bus that came by while I was at the bus stop

Status
Not open for further replies.